Moxa Uport 1150

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
KeshIO
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Moxa Uport 1150

Post by KeshIO »

I'm trying to connect the USB adapter Uport1150 to the guest virtual machine. Allow virtual machines to access the USB devices on my host directly. Uport not working. Images attached below. I tried to install the driver 1.5 1.6 1.6.7, but it did not help. How can I solve this problem?
Host - Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Guest - Windows XP Professional
PS Message was created using Google Translate
Attachments
Device Manager
Device Manager
Device Manager.png (41.04 KiB) Viewed 12680 times
Uport 1150 Properties
Uport 1150 Properties
Uport 1150 Properties.png (28.95 KiB) Viewed 12680 times
KeshIO
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Re: Moxa Uport 1150

Post by KeshIO »

In VMWare works perfectly
ottoman

Post by ottoman »

I have exactly the same problem. Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Although this is an ancient thread (in software terms), it shouldn't matter for this particular issue. The "Moxa Uport 1150" seems to be a USB to serial converter. As a USB device, you need to capture it in your guest. Please read the following: USB basics and troubleshooting.

For future reference, please provide complete information about your host, your guest and your VirtualBox. Use the complete version numbers (including the build numbers) to identify your software:
  • "OSX" isn't enough, "OSX 10.9.5 build 13f1911" is much better.
  • "Win10" isn't enough, "Win10 1607, build 14393.969" is much better.
  • "Ubuntu" isn't enough, "Ubuntu 16.04, 4.4.0-59-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP" is much better.
  • "The latest VirtualBox" isn't enough, "VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126" is much better.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ottoman

Post by ottoman »

Well, it's going to be a long story :)
You are right, Moxa is a serial to usb converter, except mine model is 1130. But it doesn't matter, since it's a common problem, I believe.

Short intro. Since I'm service engineer and my new "modern" laptop doesn't have serial input I'm forced to use converter. I also use VM because of the policy restrictions on my host machine. Now regarding the issues I have with Moxa converter. There are 2 problems.

1. Connecting the Moxa to guest machine
2. Recognizing the Moxa by guest machine

I use:
@ host >> Windows 7 Pro 7601.win7sp1_ldr.170427-1518.
@ guest >> Windows 7 Ent 7601.win7sp1_ldr.170427-1518. Both versions are legal. No cracks or whatsoever. Guest Windows is freshly installed.
VM Version 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2)
More detailed info from cmd.exe see in the attached zip file.
Outputs from cmd.exe in txt files
VirtualBox.zip
(3.12 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

The problem #1. In the beginning I had a problem connecting Moxa to guest. Why? I don't know, but I know how to fix it temporarily. Why temp? Because the problem will appear again in the future.

I'm getting this error when I try to connect the USB device to guest.
1.png
1.png (22.37 KiB) Viewed 10511 times
Even though the status shows Captured, but the device doesn't appear in the Device Manager.
2.png
2.png (70.87 KiB) Viewed 10511 times
Workaround for Windows 7 is to re-install VM's USB drivers:
1. Shut down active VM
2. In Oracle VM Manager app go to File->Reset All Warnings
3. Close Oracle VM Manager app
4. Go to C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\drivers\USB\filter
5. Right Click on VBoxUSBMon.inf
6. Click Install
7. Open Oracle VM Manager app. Run VM. Use filter or get it on the fly. Both options will work.
8. Done. USB device is captured.

Now when Problem #1 is fixed I have another problem #2 which is the subject of this thread, but I believe this one is due to the lack of my knowledge in VMs.

The problem is that even though device is recognized, it cannot be started (Code 10). As it doesn't have any COM ports available in the Driver settings (see attached image). I tried to enable COM port (Host Device mode) in the VM and show the path/address to the actual COM port on the Host machine but it didn't work.

I'm actually stuck at this point and continue to experiment with the settings. If you know the solution, please help.
ottoman

Post by ottoman »

3.png
3.png (91.57 KiB) Viewed 10511 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you read the series of posts I linked to? You need a USB filter. You don't have one.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ottoman

Post by ottoman »

I have read about USB and found some interesting stuff over there, thanks for that.
But filters doesn't always work with Moxa. They work as they should with the rest of the devices.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you install the Moxa drivers in the host? If so, it may be wise to uninstall them.

Why do you think that the filters don't always work? Do they work sometimes? You do NOT go to the Devices menu for that. You need to plug the device *after* the VM has started and you've logged in the guest.

The only thing I could remotely think of is that it may be a delayed power issue? No clue.

Create a filter according to the instructions and then start the VM from a clean boot, login, plug the Moxa, wait for it to be discovered. If it doesn't, shut down the VM and post a VBox.log.zip.
ottoman

Post by ottoman »

Will do as you said and post it here. Meanwhile, answering to your question regarding the drivers on the host. That's the interesting part. I haven't installed any drivers for it on the host. Windows downloaded/installed them when I plugged in Moxa. They've installed nice and easy. But when I plugged-in Moxa for the first time on the VM they've failed to install. So I downloaded and installed them manually from the Moxa's website.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It's OK, I guess. The thing is that you haven't created a filter in the guest. Read again the related post one more time please: #4: USB Filters.
EliasA

Post by EliasA »

Ottoman: did you get this solved? I have the same issue.

Host is Ubuntu 16.04 running Virtualbox Version 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130, guest is Windows XP 32-bit.

Other USB devices I use, Including an automotive OBD analyzer work. Filter for Moxa Uport 1150 has been made. Still the Code 10 error.

I wonder - should I have Moxa drivers installet in the host OS or not? Until now I have tried without as AFAIK the USB bus is handled in a passthrough manner.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

EliasA wrote: Host is Ubuntu 16.04 running Virtualbox Version 5.0.40_Ubuntu r115130
In that case you should be asking for support in the Ubuntu forums, because that is not VirtualBox, it's a fork. And if you also installed the Ubuntu extension pack then it's problem solved: the latter has no USB modules (because they are closed source).

If you want support on these forums then install actual, genuine VirtualBox from the download pages of this site (after purging the fork and all its little minions).
EliasA

Post by EliasA »

Mpack has a good point. However...
mpack wrote: And if you also installed the Ubuntu extension pack then it's problem solved: the latter has no USB modules (because they are closed source).
There is no such thing as "Ubuntu extension pack". Reason - as it is proprietary, it is not in Ubuntu repositories. There however is a metapackage that actually downloads the extension pack from Oracle server and installs it.

Mpack might also explain how it is possible (as I wrote) that other USB devices work but not Moxa Uport 1150.

Given that the version packaged by Canonical (company distributing Ubuntu) really is a fork, I will give the original one a try and report.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Just to clarify. Yes Ubuntu has an extension pack available. It is however the PUEL version that is closed source and is installable from them IF you have enabled the extra non-free repositories. There is also an extension pack that is available or other OSes that is not the official one ( usually Debian based ) Not sure about RPM but I believe they also have their own but it does not contain the USB and vRDP. They use VNC instead.