Aero unusable after changing graphics card

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Marko73
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, Windows 7 x64

Aero unusable after changing graphics card

Post by Marko73 »

After a hardware failure of my NVidia 8800 GTS 512, I've been forced to temporarily downgrade to an ATI/AMD Radeon X1950 Pro - and Virtualbox doesn't like it one bit. Aero's a complete disaster on this card.

Host system specs: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 on AMD Athlon II X4 935, 4GB RAM, ATI/AMD Radeon X1950 Pro graphics.
Guest system specs: Windows 7 Ultimate X64, 2GB RAM. Virtualbox 4.1.2 / Virtualbox additions 4.1.3r73784.

I've attached a screenshot so you can see the effect.
vbox-buggy3.jpg
vbox-buggy3.jpg (114.47 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Aero unusable after changing graphics card

Post by Sasquatch »

So you post here after sending a PM to me asking why I locked your previous topic? You said you installed a test version of the Guest Additions, why post here instead of where you got the GA? Did you remove the GA and install it again after you fixed your Host side? Going from ATi to nVidia or vice versa requires proper uninstall of the driver.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Marko73

Post by Marko73 »

Sasquatch wrote:So you post here after sending a PM to me asking why I locked your previous topic? You said you installed a test version of the Guest Additions, why post here instead of where you got the GA? Did you remove the GA and install it again after you fixed your Host side? Going from ATi to nVidia or vice versa requires proper uninstall of the driver.

Yes, I'm well aware of the procedure for uninstalling one graphics card and installing another one with regards to drivers etc, and yes, I've already removed and reinstalled the guest additions. I've posted here exactly *because* you locked the other thread, as I'd frankly quite like to get this resolved and since you're bringing PMs into this, I said there that you didn't actually read the post before you closed the thread as you ignored relevant information (the GA version).

Honestly, if you spent half as much time trying to help as you have on rude replies, we'd be a lot closer to a resolution.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Then maybe you should wait for a reply through PM instead of opening a new topic with your same problem. I'm not rude, I just don't like it when people post things in the wrong place (why a new topic when the dev won't see it, but he/she will when you reply in the topic you got the GA from) and going against the rules in the Forum Posting Guide (cross-posting).

I don't see where I am rude in my comments here, nor in your other thread. Care to tell us what is offending?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

It very well could be buggy OpenGL drivers...
Does AMD supports this card in newest drivers ?
Maybe workarounds in VirtualBox code are possible, maybe not.
Marko73

Post by Marko73 »

The card isn't supported by the latest drivers, no - it's in what ATI call their "legacy" stage. For what it's worth, the driver version is 2010.0210.2339.42455, ie. it's from last year. This is the most recent driver for this card. I do use other OpenGL applications with this card: Daz Studio for example, and this works fine (works fine on the host OS that is, it doesn't work at all on VirtualBox due to unemulated features of openGL, and it never has, on any card).

It's most unfortunate because I was working on things that really need Aero to be working, such as producing some new visual styles for Windows 7. I always prefer to test this sort of thing in a virtual machine if possible and VirtualBox has served me vvery well for multiple purposes over the years.

Oh. I suppose it goes without saying but in case it doesn't: Aero works perfectly on the host.
CaptainFlint
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Various Windows and Linux distros

Post by CaptainFlint »

I have the same problem here in VB 4.1.4, and I have ATI card too (X800).
I created a ticket #9528 earlier, and now updated it with the new info about 4.1.4.