Vista Host Configuration error: Failed to get the "MAC&

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tripod

Post by tripod »

Hi There,

I have found 2 references to this on Google without a resolution that works for me.

I have a Vista SP1 running VirtualBox 1.6.2. During install I selected both Virtiual NIC and USB to be installed. I have installed a default OpenSolaris 2008.05 as a Guest with 512Mb of RAM and 3Gb of Disk. I have also installed the Guest Additions which is working well. I tried to set a static IP address but never worked so set it back to NWAM with NAT and all is good.

I am now trying to configure a Port Proxy so I can access a web application running on port 8080 (which I haven't installed yet).

Following the instructions from the help file and the Internet I have successfully configured the port proxy with the following commands:

o VBoxManage.exe setextradata "OpenSSO - Google Federation" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestAppServer/Protocol" TCP
o VBoxManage.exe setextradata "OpenSSO - Google Federation" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestAppServer/GuestPort" 8080
o VBoxManage.exe setextradata "OpenSSO - Google Federation" "VboxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestAppServer/HostPort" 8080

Checking the configuration XML I see that the settings have been applied:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestAppServer/Protocol" value="TCP" />
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestAppServer/GuestPort" value="8080" />
<ExtraDataItem name="VboxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestAppServer/HostPort" value="8080" />

However since making this change the Guest will no longer start with the following error:

Configuration error: Failed to get the "MAC" value.
VBox status code: -2103 (VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND).

The log file yields:
00:00:08.698 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_FAIL (0x80004005) aIID={d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf} aComponent={Console} aText={Configuration error: Failed to get the "MAC" value.
00:00:08.698 VBox status code: -2103 (VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND)} aWarning=false, preserve=false
00:00:08.702 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_CFGM_VALUE_NOT_FOUND, hrc=E_FAIL (0X80004005))

If I remove the values the VM starts fine.

* I have confirmed port 8080 is not in use (I've tried 20000 also just in case).
* I have disabled the windows firewall
* Although I have User Account Control Disabled I have tried to run as "Administrator"

Nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance
kaykarun

Post by kaykarun »

I had the same problem, and I fixed it by updating the device name (pcnet) in the configuration XML. In my case, the network device was e1000, as I was using the Intel network adapter instead of PCNet. Please check the log file to find out the device name.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Karun
russoue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04

Re: Vista Host Configuration error: Failed to get the "MAC&

Post by russoue »

The solution worked for me too.
oleonard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by oleonard »

kaykarun wrote: Please check the log file to find out the device name.
Where do you find this information in the log file?

Does it make any difference if you're trying to set up access to two different Guest OSes running simultaneously?
tblank
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by tblank »

If you look for a line in the log file like:

00:00:00.442 MAC <bytes> = "08 00 27 3b ac ae" (cb=6)

slightly above that will be the device line:

00:00:00.442 [/Devices/e1000/0/Config/] (level 4)

I've bolded the part that would be the network device name.
nalorin
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Fedora 10

VirtualBox VirtualMachine Port Forwarding Configuration Comm

Post by nalorin »

For configuring port forwarding on any VirtualBox VirtualMachine, entering the following three commands for each and every rule you wish to setup will get you the results you're looking for.

Be sure to remove the underscored words (and their underscores) and replace them with the settings for your individual VM:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage.exe setextradata "__VMNAME__" "VBoxInternal/Devices/__CARDNAME__/0/LUN#0/Config/__RULENAME__/Protocol" __PROTOCOL__
VBoxManage.exe setextradata "__VMNAME__" "VBoxInternal/Devices/__CARDNAME__/0/LUN#0/Config/__RULENAME__/GuestPort" __GPORT__
VBoxManage.exe setextradata "__VMNAME__" "VboxInternal/Devices/__CARDNAME__/0/LUN#0/Config/__RULENAME__/HostPort" __HPORT__
~~~~~~~~~LEGEND~~~~~~~~~~
__VMNAME__   = name of VM from VirtualBox main window
__CARDNAME__ = name of virtual network adapter - pcnet for PCnet-FAST III, e1000 for Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, and so on
__RULENAME__ = name you want want the rule to be stored as
__PROTOCOL__ = TCP, or UDP - if you want to do both, you have to have a **second** set of rules with a **different** rulename (eg. SSH1 for TCP and SSH2 for UDP)
__GPORT__    = the destination port - for example, this could be "80" for a webserver
__HPORT__    = the external port - for example, this could be "8080" for a webserver if your ISP does not allow personal web servers on port 80
If you want to verify your settings:

VBoxManage.exe getextradata "__VMNAME__" enumerate
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I was having the MAC error because I had 2 mistakes when I was entering the information above.
1) I had "pcnet" instead of "e1000" for the __CARDNAME__ (I think this one generated the error - the VM was probably looking for the MAC address of a second NIC, which wasn't configured on the machine)
2) I made a typo: I typed "Guestport" instead of "GuestPort" - the commands appear to be case sensitive

If you follow the code above, you will almost certainly get it right :)
capitanqueso
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Debian

Post by capitanqueso »

This thread is old but never the less search engines send us here looking for this problem

I have found that editing manually by any editor the files *.vbox (where " * " is the name of you virtual machine) you get the full configuration of your v'machines!! Is better that typing all those commands (that's for linux geeks :mrgreen: )
those files usually are found in C:\Users\myUsername\.VirtualBox\Machines\myMachineName in Windows 7 and assume in XP it will be something like C:\Documents and Settings\myUsername\.VirtualBox\Machines\myMachineName

I fix my problem deleting all the "extradata" I added before.
You may also find another file *.vbox-prev that had the old settings you change however you still may want to make a backup for both files just in case.

<ExtraData>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Fullscreen" value="on"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastCloseAction" value="shutdown"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="1024,768"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition" value="237,152,752,518,max"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion" value="122,212,640,523,max"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/MiniToolBarAlignment" value="bottom"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SaveMountedAtRuntime" value="yes"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="GUI/ShowMiniToolBar" value="yes"/>
      <!-- delete from here -->
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/http/GuestPort" value="8080"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/http/HostPort" value="8080"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/http/Protocol" value="TCP"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/tomcat/GuestPort" value="8080"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/tomcat/HostPort" value="9999"/>
      <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/tomcat/Protocol" value="TCP"/>
      <!-- to here -->
    </ExtraData>
Note that virtualbox must be closed before editing this files.

Hope you can read this well, cause apparently Opera doesn't wrap the post very well in this forum
Didn't try other browser
Edit:
the wrap bug is only on pre bbcode tag
dr_Set
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: debian

Post by dr_Set »

You can fix this error by simply going to the configuration options of you virtual machine by right clicking on it > configuration > Network > Advanced and selecting PCnet-FAST III in the adapter type combo.

This has the same efect that the manual editing on the config file or the command line described above.

Thx to all the guys in this post for helping me solve this!!!
leonardo.lch
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: openSuse

Post by leonardo.lch »

Hello everyone.. i am trying configure an access from my host machine (window 7) to my guest machine (linux - openSuse) through of Putty via ssh.
i have configured using e1000 card my virtualbox.

here is the command terminal log:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage getextradata openSuse64 enumerate
Key: GUI/AutoresizeGuest, Value: off
Key: GUI/LastCloseAction, Value: shutdown
Key: GUI/LastGuestSizeHint, Value: 640,480
Key: GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition, Value: 8,30,1009,488,max
Key: GUI/LastScaleWindowPosition, Value: 394,144,640,480
Key: GUI/MiniToolBarAlignment, Value: bottom
Key: GUI/SaveMountedAtRuntime, Value: yes
Key: GUI/ShowMiniToolBar, Value: yes
Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/ssh/GuestPort, Value: 22
Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/ssh/HostPort, Value: 2222
Key: VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000/0/LUN#0/Config/ssh/Protocol, Value: TCP

but this don't work and i have the following error.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine openSuse64.
Unknown configuration node '//ssh' found in the configuration of IntNet instance #0 (VERR_CFGM_CONFIG_UNKNOWN_NODE).
Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_CFGM_CONFIG_UNKNOWN_NODE).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_CFGM_CONFIG_UNKNOWN_NODE).

someone have any idea to help me.... :evil: thank you in advance for your help to the comunity.

PD. the guest machine (oponSuce) is enable and runnleonardo@linux-dxdl:~> ssh localhost
Password:
Last login: Fri Sep 23 23:28:41 2011 from console
Have a lot of fun...
leonardo@linux-dxdl:~>
ing ssh, below the command executed.