WinXP shutdown hanging

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
twsnnva
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Many

WinXP shutdown hanging

Post by twsnnva »

I am running the latest release (4.1.2) on Win7 Pro x64. I performed a clean install of XPSP3 as a guest, which was fine before installing the guest additions. Once installed, the guest hangs at the "Windows is shutting down..." screen, requiring a hard reset to restart the guest. After removing the guest additions, the problem goes away and the system reboots fine. Looking in the guest event viewer, I can find no errors and the last event is the event viewer being stopped. Searching the web shows this has always been a very common issue, and I've tried most of the solutions I have seen suggested -- disabling guest audio, nested paging and PAE/NX. Unfortunately, nothing has helped. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks, Thomas.
twsnnva
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Many

Re: WinXP shutdown hanging

Post by twsnnva »

I *believe* I have solved the issue, though I'm not certain it will not return. After the guest became hung at the shutdown screen, I noticed VB was not showing network or disk activity, but was showing USB activity anytime I would move my mouse. I disabled mouse integration and the problem went away. I then re-enabled mouse integration and the problem did not return. I do not understand this behavior, and since this was a clean install of XP, I deleted the guest and reinstalled XP only to experience the exact behavior again. My concern is that this is not a lasting "fix" and the problem will return. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I have sub'd this thread and would be very interested to know if anyone experiences the same issue and resolution. Thanks, Thomas.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: WinXP shutdown hanging

Post by Perryg »

If you have the absolute pointer enabled in the guest settings this will cause your issue. Disabling it seems to resolve the issue completely.