Failed to upgrade to 4.1.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Stoepselgeber
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: div. Windows, Android, Ubuntu

Failed to upgrade to 4.1.2

Post by Stoepselgeber »

Hi, I had 4.0.12 installed. Tried mutliple times to install 4.1.2 and got error 2869. (Yes, I reloaded installer from net.) Tried 4.1.0, same problem.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Failed to upgrade to 4.1.2

Post by BillG »

That is a pretty common (and unhelpful) message from the Windows installer (msi). It can be caused by a wide range of things. The first thing I would suggest is to use "run as Administrator" to install. UAC is one of the things which can cause this.
Bill
Stoepselgeber
Guest OSses: div. Windows, Android, Ubuntu

Post by Stoepselgeber »

Of course, I did this.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Then the next step is Windows Answers. It is a Windows installer problem, not a VirtualBox problem. It can happen with any application. Googling msi 2869 will give you some idea.
Bill
nse
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 SP1

Post by nse »

after spending MUCH time; the resolution for a Windows 2008 platform is as follows;

1) download - http://dailyfreeware.net/2011/07/25/win ... ility-7-2/
2) remove the VirtualBox installation files
3) reinstall using Run As Administrator

simple!

Much time and aggravation would be avoided if the VirtualBox setup application would clean up after itself.

I hope this helps others.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

nse wrote:Much time and aggravation would be avoided if the VirtualBox setup application would clean up after itself.
It would be helpful to know what you are referring to, i.e. what cleanup should VirtualBox do which it doesn't do?
dbaird
Guest OSses: windows, linux

Post by dbaird »

Hi, I had the same problem, and found a solution that worked for me (from a much older post).

First try a bare bones install (no networking, USB or python - just the top level ticked). This succeeded for me, but required a reboot.
Run the installer again, and remove the installation
Run the installer (yet) again, and this time it succeeds.

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the fact that I didn't uninstall the incumbent version before trying to install 4.1.2, and somehow this screwed something up in the registry.

Cheers

Edit: I tried the windows installer cleanup tool (a few posts up), but there where no entries for VirtualBox to be found.
cho
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by cho »

First try a bare bones install (no networking, USB or python - just the top level ticked). This succeeded for me, but required a reboot.
Run the installer again, and remove the installation
Run the installer (yet) again, and this time it succeeds.
I tried this method and it doesn't help. I was using 4.0.xxx version and install 4.1.2 without removing the older version first. Now I get the 2869 error. I'm running on Win7-64 OS and also tried with "admin" method also...

Any help would be appreciated. VBox was running great before trying to upgrade to 4.1.2

I have tried CCLEANER to clean the registry. the Windows Uninstall Utility has no entry for VirtualBox. :( :(
danf84
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: XP

Post by danf84 »

I have a different problem: during the install I get "Files in Use", "VirtualBox Interface (Process Id: xxxx)".

Shouldn't the installer take care of what's running? No VMs running and the VirtualBox GUI is not running either.

I am skeptical about this release, but since there are some crappy bugs in the previous version (to do with extracting archives, running SFXs etc from shared folders), I am updating anyway.

EDIT. I upgraded after uninstalling the previous version. The bugs that I had with archives are to do with an older version of version 4 of additions being installed. So far all good.
Animegob
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by Animegob »

Ich hatte auch das Problem und hab nach einigen Versuchen gesehen das zwar das Programm Deinstalliert war, aber die Virtuelle Netzwerkkarte noch vorhanden war.
Siehe Systemsteuerung\Netzwerk und Internet\Netzwerkverbindungen VirtualBox Host-Only Network
Diese habe ich dann Deaktiviert und den Treiber manuell Deinstalliert.
Danach funktionierte die Installation.
Chris Bridge

Post by Chris Bridge »

I'm using Windows 7, I went into Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and disabled the existing (earlier install of Virtual Box) network connection called "VirtualBox Host-Only Network" then hit Retry and it installed fine.

Windows bug:
Interestingly, if (as I found writing this) you Right Click the network connection ->Rename (to copy and paste its name), then click outside the Rename you get an error about the '-' character in the name!

Chris.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Don't wake the dead. Locking this topic forever.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!