Hitting full screen twice garbled screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
tlundqvist
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian linux

Hitting full screen twice garbled screen

Post by tlundqvist »

Hi, I've had a problem for ages (many versions back). I usually use guest in full screen (Host-F). If I leave full screen and reenter again, the screen gets completely garbled (see attached photo). If I resize or move the window slightly before I enter full screen again, it works alright.

When the screen gets garbled I have no problem leaving full screen and go back to windowed mode again - but then, the window always gets resized to cover the whole desktop area. My solution for several years now have been to always do a slight window resize before entering full screen. Safe, but a bit annoying.

Same behavior in Windows 7 (64 bit) and Windows XP (32 bit). Still a problem in VirtualBox 4.1.2. Had it for several years.

Anyone else discovered this?
Garbled screen after entering full screen twice
Garbled screen after entering full screen twice
garbled_screen.jpg (82.83 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
randypower
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.x, Windows 7

Re: Hitting full screen twice garbled screen

Post by randypower »

Hello. Yep, I experience this all the time. I tend to switch in & out of Full Screen often. The only trick I've found to get it out of its funk is to switch to Seamless mode. Then I can switch out of Seamless and it stays good.

These days, I host on a Mac (10.7 Lion) and guest Ubuntu. However, I recall the problem happening while hosting on Windows (up to & including 7) as well.

I've tried with and without 3D acceleration, but not with 2D acceleration as VB warns that this is not an optimal configuration.
tlundqvist
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian linux

Post by tlundqvist »

tlundqvist wrote:Same behavior in Windows 7 (64 bit) and Windows XP (32 bit). Still a problem in VirtualBox 4.1.2. Had it for several years.
Still same problem in 4.1.4...
rgdfg

Post by rgdfg »

I have the same issue. Virtualbox 4.1.2 r73507, host: Windows 7 64 bit, guest: Debian 6 / Xfce, guest additions installed. To restore the screen, I use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to the console and then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch back. However, it's annoying.
rgdfg

Post by rgdfg »

Possibly, "fullscreen corruption in gnome3" topic is about the same problem (...f=3&t=45474 - sorry can't post urls)
rgdfg

Post by rgdfg »

Another solution for me is to turn off 'Auto-resize guest display' option in View menu and to have VM always staying in full-screen resolution even when it's in a window.