Media Player 11, Netflix, and DRM w/ Windows XP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
TragicM

Media Player 11, Netflix, and DRM w/ Windows XP

Post by TragicM »

I recently installed Virtual Box on a Mac OS X host (currently at 10.5.2), and put a Windows XP virtual OS on it. I ran the OS, and everything ran fine, but Internet Explorer 6 was having some very odd issues, where its windows would disappear for no reason. So I upgraded it up to IE 7, and the problem went away.

After that I installed the netflix media player in IE 7. This involves Media Player 11. Whenever I go to start up a movie on Netflix's watch it now my video either never starts, gets stuck on the DRM verification screen, or worse, causes a system curtain and I have to power down my mac because the error was so severe.

Anyone else have this problem, or know of any existing Windows Media Player 11 issues? I wanted to use Virtual Box to be able to watch netflix movies on my mac, so any help would be great!
Chris Lepore

I have a different problem

Post by Chris Lepore »

I don't have these problems with VirtualBox/WinXP/Netflix but mine is no less frustrating.

When I go to Netflix' Browse Instant tab and select a movie, it determines my video quality, then starts to load the movie and then gives me this error:

Video driver error
Your computer's video card driver may not support the Netflix Movie Viewer. Sometimes simply rebooting your computer will fix the problem. If not, please obtain the latest driver from your computer's video card manufacturer or its web site, install it, reboot your computer, and try to play a movie again.

For further information, see our Video Driver Error FAQ. If the problem persists, or you would like assistance, please contact Netflix technical support and report the following error code(s):

WMPError(C00D1197)
Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.
Has anyone had any success getting Netflix on-demand working? I'm running VB 1.5.51 (beta 3) on Leopard 10.5.2.

TIA
PokerBoyTom

Video driver error with Netflix Movie Viewer!!!!!

Post by PokerBoyTom »

I have the same problem. I'm running Parallels Desktop mac 3.0 with PC OS Vista on Leopard 10.5.2. Mac book pro. :x I'm getting the same error.
lesb

Netflix issue

Post by lesb »

I spent the evening getting Netflix to work on my macbook. Ugrade to 1.6 then install the guest additions. This fixes the video card issue. Then make sure to set the sound card to NOT NULL. I am not sure why but once the sound card was set to my soundcard the video started working.

Hope this helps.

Les B
zsalk

Re: Netflix issue

Post by zsalk »

lesb wrote:I spent the evening getting Netflix to work on my macbook. Ugrade to 1.6 then install the guest additions. This fixes the video card issue. Then make sure to set the sound card to NOT NULL. I am not sure why but once the sound card was set to my soundcard the video started working.

Hope this helps.

Les B
Thanks Les, this fixed it for me. I had the same Video Driver Error as posted above. I'm running XVM VirtualBox on Mac OS X 10.5.3 on a Mac Mini with 1 gb RAM. In the settings for my virtual XP machine I changed the Audio to CoreAudio instead of Null Audio. After that Netflix Watch Instantly works perfectly!

Thanks again for the help.