Deleting vdi - space still used?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rpw

Deleting vdi - space still used?

Post by rpw »

Hello,

I'm using Kubuntu 7.10 and VirtualBox 1.5.6 from the repository "deb http://www.virtualbox.org/debian gutsy non-free" which is mentioned on the VirtualBox website.

I've created a virtual machine on an external harddisc (hdc1) just to test another Linux distribution. On this disc there are only data and this vdi-file, no system and no temporary fils.

Before creating the virtual vdi-file I had 99 GB free space on that disc. After creating the dynamic vdi-file with a maximum size of 8 GB and installing Mandriva Linux and a lot of applications and doing some testings there was only 91 GB free space left.

Then I deleted the virtual machine and the vdi-file in Virtual Box using the menu "File" and "Manager for virtual drives", and choosed "Delete" (hope this is translated correctly since I use the german version of VirtualBox).

But there are still only 91 GB free space on that disc, and the data on it are about 48 GB (checked it with KDirStat). So the question is - where are the 8 GB of space, that where used by VirtualBox?

And there is no hidden file on tha disc, even the vdi-file was not hidden (I saw it in Dolphin).

I've tried the same thing with a test-vdi with fixed size, and there ist no such problem. It seems to happen only with dynamic vdi-files.

Any ideas what I can do, or where to look?

Best regards,

rpw
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I was thinking it might be in the trashcan on the external drive, but as you say that it didn't happen with a fixed size vdi, then perhaps it's not removed properly. Have you searched for the file?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
rpw

Post by rpw »

Yes I searched for it, but without success. Too bad, but there is no vdi-file on the disk.

Is it possible that the file is only marked as deleted but not really deleted, ao it will not be shown in filemanager, but still uses space on the disk?

If this is the case, is there maybe a way to "clean" ext3 filesystems, to get rid of those files?

Regards,

rpw
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

You could try a forced checkdisk. You have to unmount the drive first and run the checkdisk as root.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
rpw

Post by rpw »

Unfortunatly that did not help. But anyway, thanks. I have to look further, maybe there is a "trick" to get back the lost space.

Best regards,

rpw