Remote Desktop connects but blank

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mozboz
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Remote Desktop connects but blank

Post by mozboz »

Win7 host, Ubuntu 10.04 guest (guest 64 bit, using 4 CPUs, 4Gb, most acceleration turned on)

I have remote desktop enabled in VirtualBox, and can connect.

If I'm running in normal 'headed' mode and do not login on the guest, the remote desktop session shows a mirror of the login screen, so is working Ok, but after login the 'head' on VirtualBox works fine, but the RDP 'mirror' stops updating (the VM does take input from the RDP session though)

If I login through the head, the RDP session connects and is always blank, but again is taking input.

If I start the VM in headless mode, I can again see the login screen with RDP, but after I login through RDP, the 'headless' VM automatically opens up a window titled 'Chromium Render SPU'

Not sure what's going on here - my goal is just to have a headless VM that I can RDP into.

Thanks!

m
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Re: Remote Desktop connects but blank

Post by fixedwheel »

mozboz wrote:Ubuntu 10.04 ... most acceleration turned on)
turn off VBox guest settings 3d acceleration: its probably caused by compiz opengl desktop effects. You may as well turn off desktop effects in the guest
mozboz
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: Remote Desktop connects but blank

Post by mozboz »

Thanks! I turned off 3D acceleration in virtualbox and also turned off all effects in Ubuntu, remote desktop now working fine.

Thank you :-)