VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rlowrance
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Unbuntu 64 bit

VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR

Post by rlowrance »

I am running in Windows 7 as the Host and trying to run Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit as a guest. VirtualBox is version 4.1.0.

When the virtual machine boots the live image disk, I get an error:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine <guest name>

VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR.
(VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED)

The details are:

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

My settings for the guest (Ubuntu) include Enable VT-x/AMD-V paging.

Does anyone know a workaround?

Thanks, Roy
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR

Post by Perryg »

Enable hardware-v in the bios or make sure that you are not running another virtualizer that is hardware-v aware (like XP mode)
vikram
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386

Post by vikram »

Im also getting the same error. Can any1 tel me wats going wrong?
richard2233
Primary OS: MS Windows 2003
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by richard2233 »

Just one thing to check, if its not mission critical and your only using for testing make sure that that you only have one processor core in use. Sometimes having more than one (if your system doesnt support it) will display the same error.

/my two cents :D
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

richard2233 wrote:Just one thing to check, if its not mission critical and your only using for testing make sure that that you only have one processor core in use. Sometimes having more than one (if your system doesnt support it) will display the same error.

/my two cents :D
Even if you need VT-x for 64 bit guest support? I doubt that trimming the amount of CPUs would help with that, when it's already set for 1.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
jesse6895

Post by jesse6895 »

Before starting your instance on your Oracle VM VirtualBox Player, go to settings, system, acceleration, and un-check "Enable VT-x/AMD-V". Start your instance and you should no longer see this error.

Example:
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (47.72 KiB) Viewed 248158 times
Last edited by jesse6895 on 7. Mar 2012, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

jesse6895 wrote:Before starting your instance on your Oracle VM VirtualBox Player, go to settings, system, acceleration, and un-check "Enable VT-x/AMD-V".
It's called a "VM" and not an "instance", there is no such thing as a "VirtualBox Player", and disabling VT-x/AMD-V is definitely going to make sure that a 64-bit guest (which the OP wanted) can't run.

Other than those minor points, a helpful post.
jesse6895

Post by jesse6895 »

michaln wrote: It's called a "VM" and not an "instance", there is no such thing as a "VirtualBox Player", and disabling VT-x/AMD-V is definitely going to make sure that a 64-bit guest (which the OP wanted) can't run.

Other than those minor points, a helpful post.

I have VM that runs my Jive instance, which is why I referred to it that way, and my VM Box Manager runs a Virtual Box Player. Accordingly, I experienced the exact same error and these are my steps to fix it.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

jesse6895 wrote:I have VM that runs my Jive instance, which is why I referred to it that way, and my VM Box Manager runs a Virtual Box Player. Accordingly, I experienced the exact same error and these are my steps to fix it.
You may have run into the same issue where hardware virtualization is unavailable (for whatever reason) even though the host CPU supports it. But you clearly did not run into the same problem of trying to run a 64-bit guest OS, because if you had, turning off hardware virtualization would have only made it worse.

So while your problem may well have been solved by turning off VT-x/AMD-V, that is irrelevant in this case.
bird2010

Post by bird2010 »

@michaln: quit being an ass and help us instead! At least he's trying to help. Instead of being mean, why don't you give us the SOLUTION to this problem? I have tried everything suggested and I still can't get it to work. Instead of reading mean posts, I would rather read posts with SOLUTIONS. Thanks.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

bird2010: You just created that account to post this rant? :evil:
There are no "SOLUTIONS" if there are no problem descriptions or if they don't contain enough information to understand what's happening.
Also pointing out wrong terms for Virtualbox components helps to avoid misunderstandings.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

bird2010 wrote:Instead of being mean, why don't you give us the SOLUTION to this problem? I have tried everything suggested and I still can't get it to work. Instead of reading mean posts, I would rather read posts with SOLUTIONS. Thanks.
Well, the solution is right there in Perryg's reply (second post in the thread). Get hardware virtualization working. Without that, 64-bit guest's aren't going to run. If you have a system which doesn't support hardware virtualization or hardware virtualization can't be enabled for whatever reason, 64-bit guest's aren't going to run.

In my opinion, giving completely misleading answers is worse than giving no answers. If that makes me an ass, I can live with that.
Singaravel

Post by Singaravel »

michaln wrote:
bird2010 wrote:Instead of being mean, why don't you give us the SOLUTION to this problem? I have tried everything suggested and I still can't get it to work. Instead of reading mean posts, I would rather read posts with SOLUTIONS. Thanks.
Well, the solution is right there in Perryg's reply (second post in the thread). Get hardware virtualization working. Without that, 64-bit guest's aren't going to run. If you have a system which doesn't support hardware virtualization or hardware virtualization can't be enabled for whatever reason, 64-bit guest's aren't going to run.

In my opinion, giving completely misleading answers is worse than giving no answers. If that makes me an ass, I can live with that.
Cool buddy cool ...You may have more technical knowledge on using the VMbox, but you definitely dont have to enable hardware virtualization like what perryg said. I too faced the same issue and it was fixed by the suggestion given by jesse6895. :idea: I got a message saying that 64bit guests are not going to run where hardware virtualization is disabled but I just ignored that message and continued and it worked... not sure how/why.

Well I dont mean to snub anyone here, but just wanted to share the idea that worked for me.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Post by michaln »

Singaravel wrote:I got a message saying that 64bit guests are not going to run where hardware virtualization is disabled but I just ignored that message and continued and it worked... not sure how/why.
No, you did not run a 64-bit guest in VirtualBox without hardware virtualization. If you really think you did, please post the relevant VBox.log to prove it.