USB supported?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Lord_ZealoN

USB supported?

Post by Lord_ZealoN »

Hi,

I downloaded VirtualBox for OSX Beta 1.

I readed is supported USB but on USB devices panel, I get all disabled.

Is impossible to me to get Shared Folders working.

Somebody can help me?
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

The next beta will provide USB support. It should be out later this week.
Lord_ZealoN

Post by Lord_ZealoN »

Cool, thanks a lot.

And how about shared folders?
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

They should already work well in Beta 1.
sebastian

Shared Folders

Post by sebastian »

Hi,

I run Beta 1 with working shared folders!

*) Create a folder in OS X
*) Activate shared folders in VM prefs
*) Launch the VM and add a shared folder (menu "devices" - "shared folder", or similar), remember the name of the sharing
*) In the VM you have to mount the folder:
Windows: "Start" - "run" - type: net use x: \\vboxsvr\<name of the sharing>
Linux: mount -t vboxsf <name of the sharing> <mountpoint>

Sebastian
aimlink

Post by aimlink »

I have Windows XP running very nicely as a guest OS.

In order to use a shared folder, I did the following after creating the shared folder in the Virtual Machine configuration dialog:

- I opened a folder in XP.

- I went to the 'Tools' menu and selected 'Map Network Drive'

- I selected a drive letter and then typed in the path below:
\\vboxsvr\<shared folder name>

I then hit OK.

One can do this to access USB memory sticks as well. Just create a transient shared folder that points to the mem stick root directory. After doing this, create a mapped network drive that points to it.
Lord_ZealoN

Post by Lord_ZealoN »

Now work like a charm.

When I tried I did it directly on a windows shell and told me about the "server" doesn't exists.

Now works. Thanks...

Waiting for USB Support, thanks.
sam

Post by sam »

bah, I'm having the same problems as lord zealon was, but sadly, I can't make the solutions work for me.

any attempt to network to the x drive just says that it doesnt exist

:(

any ideas when usb support will be included?
Lord_ZealoN

Post by Lord_ZealoN »

sam wrote:bah, I'm having the same problems as lord zealon was, but sadly, I can't make the solutions work for me.

any attempt to network to the x drive just says that it doesnt exist

:(

any ideas when usb support will be included?
About the drive, follow the exact instructions.

About the USB, on the next BETA. A developer told in the forum thath this week we will get it, but the week is finishing :(
ozydingo

Post by ozydingo »

Lord_ZealoN wrote: About the drive, follow the exact instructions.
I can't get shared folders on my Vista guest, even though i can on my XP guest (OS X host); says "The network path was not found" -- and I did install the driver and have internet connectivity on the Vista guest. Any ideas?
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Which driver did you install? You need guest additions installed for shared folders to work (as described in the manual). Shared folders doesn't rely on the network card.
ozydingo

Post by ozydingo »

klaus wrote:Which driver did you install? You need guest additions installed for shared folders to work (as described in the manual). Shared folders doesn't rely on the network card.
I can't find the page again, but it was said that Vista for some reason doesn't include the driver on the (simulated) network card used by virtual box, so you have to download and install it. It was accurate; Vista didn't recognize any network hardware when i first installed it, but after installing the driver it worked fine.

Do the shared folder (\\vboxsvr\sharename) not go through this virtual network card? I'm hoping either way, from other docs I've read, that it will be fixed upon the vbox 1.4 release for OS X. But for now I can't figure out how to use shared folder in Vista guest (works fine in XP guest)
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

The FAQ says that Vista doesn't include the driver for the virtual network card. Which is correct, but doesn't interfere with the use of shared folders (which do not rely on the virtual network card).

Do you see the small VirtualBox tray icon (in the Vista tray) inside the VM window? If not, you need to install the guest additions. See manual.

As a side note, the network driver is now also on the additions CD (but IIRC needs to be installed separately), so no need to download it from AMD any more.
ozydingo

Post by ozydingo »

klaus wrote:The FAQ says that Vista doesn't include the driver for the virtual network card. Which is correct, but doesn't interfere with the use of shared folders (which do not rely on the virtual network card).

Do you see the small VirtualBox tray icon (in the Vista tray) inside the VM window? If not, you need to install the guest additions. See manual.

As a side note, the network driver is now also on the additions CD (but IIRC needs to be installed separately), so no need to download it from AMD any more.
Yep, installed guest additions; I do see the vb tray icon.

Shared folder settings are identical for my two vMachines (XP & Vista). The exact error in Vista is "System error 53 has occurred.\n\nThe network path was not found". OS X Host, so I'm still using beta1.