Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Easy extpack

Post by Sasquatch »

So maybe an option to install Oracle's extpack from the GUI? Or use VBoxManage for it? In the topic about proxy I saw a post from either you or another dev that stated that the proxy will be needed for downloading the extpack. Since I haven't seen such an option in the GUI, will that be a future feature?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sasquatch wrote:Here you go again, generalising a group
No, I'm stating legal and technical facts. Fact: there is no pressure on Windows users or developers to comform to GPL. Fact: there are no automated software repositories serving Windows users which insist on carrying only open source software (quite the contrary in fact!). Therefore GPL compliance in apps such as Virtualbox is largely a non-issue for Windows users. "Free" they may care about, "GPL" they don't. "Open Source" some like me will care about, but I don't know how much Jane Smith in the office will care.

This has nothing whatever to do with whether Windows users want to use GPL software: I have really no idea where you got that from, it certainly wasn't from anything I wrote. If the software is any good they will want to use it. Especially if it's free. Does GPL affect their choice? I doubt it very much.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

As far as I understand the problem is not on the user side. The vendor is not allowed to ship GPL and proprietary code together.