Does PCI-passthrough work for pcie Soundcard and VGA?

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
sonnet

Does PCI-passthrough work for pcie Soundcard and VGA?

Post by sonnet »

As per title I wanted to ask if pci passthrough new feature on virtualbox 4.1 beta works for pci-express soundcard and VGA.
If yes, is there much loss in latency (for soundcards) or drop in performance?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Does PCI-passthrough work for pcie Soundcard and VGA?

Post by Sasquatch »

Moved to beta, as the question is about a beta release.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

pci-express VGA - no.

docs say: "9.6. PCI passthrough"

"AGP and certain PCI Express cards are not supported at the moment if they rely on GART (Graphics Address Remapping Table) unit programming for texture management as it does rather nontrivial operations with pages remapping interfering with IOMMU. This limitation may be lifted in future releases."
sonnet

Post by sonnet »

so it works for pci-express soundcard I assume?
levk
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP, Gentoo, Ubuntu*, CentOS, Scientific Linux

Post by levk »

I tried to google stuff on the GART sentence and, as far as I understand, it doesn't necessarily mean video cards in general won't work. It isn't clear for sure and I can't test it because PCI passthrough doesn't seem to work at all for me on a Q45 chipset http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43012
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Unfortunately the whole PCI-passthrough topic is pretty theoretical, until Intel starts to offer such (VT-d) hardware.

The fact is -- my brand new High-end PC (XRig 2011) for $3000+ with Intel Core i7 2600K CPU _doesn't_ support VT-d.
Other solutions are either much slower (AMD, or Intel i7 2600 non-K, or prohibitively expensive - i7 980X)

Intel is to blame.

-Technologov
Zrax
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows (multiple), Linux (multiple), OpenSolaris, OSX Server

Post by Zrax »

It depends a lot on what CPU and motherboard you have... My system is a little over a year old, but does have VT-d support which I had to enable in the BIOS, separately from the VT-x support. For reference, I have a Core i7 Bloomfield running on an Asus board with the X58 chipset; it's high-end, but certainly not in the "prohibitively expensive" range...

Unfortunately, my only PCI/PCI-e card is my video card, so I can't really test this feature quite yet... But still, sounds pretty neat :)
kngtrider
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win

Post by kngtrider »

Although correct in citing that VT-d is a relatively uncommon feature to say VT-x, do note that for intels K unlocked SKUs of sandy bridge, vt-d and other features such as TXT are disabled, but these features are enabled on the locked/cheaper SKUs

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52209,52210,52213,52214

intel figured the typical buyer of the unlocked parts would be an enthusiast who would overclock (purpose of buying the unlock to begin with) and not a pro/developer/business customer and to acheive good yields of parts that acheive high bins that can be sold and branded as unlocked parts disabled certain features to acheive this goal. wether those features where suspectible to failure on the wafers or that they just dont allow for headroom I do not know.

So its slightly incorrect saying 'my $3000 rig with 2600K does not support VT-d' when one did not specifically check if said feature is supported on a platform, not much different to in prior times where one was building a virtualisation host and certain newer intel cpus did not have vt-x while older ones did.

Regards

-----
Editor
NitroWare.net