[INVALID] UDP Tunnel Error Message

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
twipley
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP

[INVALID] UDP Tunnel Error Message

Post by twipley »

Hello. I have been trying the two first VirtualBox v4.1 betas, and, through naming the generic network adapter "udptunnel," thus selecting the UDP Tunnel driver, if I am understanding it right, an error springs up upon first starting up of the virtual machine.

I know this sounds stupid, but I am not in a position to report the exact error message right now. I believe it is to the effect of "failed to initialize network driver," and prevents the machine from starting up.

The host I am running on is Ubuntu 11.04. I know I know nothing about computing and computers, and that this is beta (that is, not-for-newbies) testing, but, as I was redirected to UDP-Tunnel usage, I figured I might as well come here and give it a shot at creating this new topic.

I might as well log on back later this week with the exact error message for further diagnosis.
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: UDP Tunnel Error Message

Post by Technologov »

Read "6.7. UDP Tunnel networking"

It will teach you to configure UDP Tunnels.
twipley

Post by twipley »

I have already done that.

Code: Select all

vboxmanage modifyvm "vm-name" --nic1 generic --nicgenericdrv1 udptunnel --nicproperty1 dest=10.0.0.2 --nicproperty1 sport=52011 --nicproperty1 dport=52011
It works for you on Ubuntu without displaying any error message?

I'll give it a shot later on and report back the exact error message.

(note that the dest property ("IP address of the target host of the transmitted data") has been set before target host being booted up). maybe that target host should have been booted up before booting?

EDIT: wait... what is the network port range for debian-based distros?
twipley

Post by twipley »

I have retried using beta2 with "udptunnel" as generic-network-driver name, without any properties whatsoever.

Here is the error message that is springing up: http://i56.tinypic.com/1s15c0.png -- any ideas about its cause?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

TinyXP is pirated software and is not supported.
twipley

Post by twipley »

I own use rights to all of the software included in that version of tinyxp, so what is so special about it?

EDIT: see the size of the version, it is one I have personally built, and dubbed "se" -- nothing illegal about it.

EDIT2: if nLite-modified versions of Windows are not supported, then I understand the reasons behind your statement, though.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Would you mind us turning the discussion around? I am a fervent supporter of developers for their quality software, by the way -- by the means of funding and otherwise.

However, that discussion is out of the scope of this topic. Let us act otherwise and this time point VirtualBox to another installation media: "debian-6.0.2.1-i386.iso" (squeeze).

What happens is, the error message springs up regardless of the operating system to be installed, for the virtual machine does not even have the chance to get initialized anyway.

EDIT: Without doubt someone sooner or later will here report the same issue, for if it happens to me, chances are it will also happen to one under a fresh Ubuntu-11.04-x86 installation.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Every command must be on separate line, look for docs.
twipley

Re: [NO BUG] UDP Tunnel Error Message

Post by twipley »

You mean, "every generic property" has to be on a separate line?

Because that is what the

vboxmanage modifyvm "vm-name" --nic1 generic --nicgenericdrv1 udptunnel --nicproperty1 dest=10.0.0.2 --nicproperty1 sport=52011 --nicproperty1 dport=52011
command as sent to the terminal gives me. Whether I am configuring it through the terminal, or through the GUI, makes no difference, though -- the linked-to error message springs up.

EDIT: in fact, it is springing up regardless of the set advanced settings (even when the "cable connected" property is set to "disabled").

The only exception to this is if something else than PCnet as the adapter type is selected; then the error message transforms itself into:

Failed to attach the network LUN
(VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

twipley wrote:I own use rights to all of the software included in that version of tinyxp, so what is so special about it?

EDIT: see the size of the version, it is one I have personally built, and dubbed "se" -- nothing illegal about it.

EDIT2: if nLite-modified versions of Windows are not supported, then I understand the reasons behind your statement, though.
Correct, nLited editions are not supported because vital parts may have been stripped. In such case, devs would be looking for a needle in a haystack and not find it, simply because the problem is caused by a missing DLL file because you removed a component the feature depends on.
And you don't 'own' the 'rights' to use TinyXP, you have the license to run Windows XP. Big difference, because this TinyXP is distributed by illegal channels, making it illegal on it's own. There is no 'right' to run it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Alright. That is a fair one, then.

However, pointing VirtualBox to an actual Windows XP CD results in the same error message.

It is funny I am the only one experiencing it. After all, after having experienced it for the first time in beta1 I reinstalled Ubuntu anew, deleting the partition it was on before, then reinstalled it and downloaded beta2, which is the only thing I have done except installing official Ubuntu updates through the "update manager."

"Connection information" reports using the "ath9k" driver. Network adapter is a D-Link one.

If I were the only one to be experiencing this, I would say "do not fix it," although I am baffled as to why no one else yet has reported a similar issue.

EDIT: is it normal that there are no choices to be selected in the "name" field, under the "generic driver" mention of the network settings?
Last edited by twipley on 14. Jul 2011, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
twipley

Post by twipley »

Bump.

I think I have just found the culprit.

I had written "UDPTunnel" in minus letters at the first instance, unfollowing the manual instructions, thinking it would not matter.

Then, on successive instances I tried capitalizing the first four letters, however upon pressing the "OK" button it went back to minus ones (as it did not seem to recognize the change).