Moving/Migrating Windows Guest between Host O/S's - BSOD's

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
BScott

Moving/Migrating Windows Guest between Host O/S's - BSOD's

Post by BScott »

Hello,

We are running the latest versions of VirtualBox on all supported flavors (Windows, Linux, MAC). We have established a build of windows that we want to use. It was built on the Windows Platform and the intent was to use it cross platform.

The only issue is that we create the guest and configure it and then copy and point to the prebuilt VDI. When we power it up though it Blue Screens.

Has anyone else had this issue. I have a lot of users needing this functionality but little time so recreating these images for each platform is not an acceptable resolution, especially for a product that is suppose to support all of the platforms out of the box.[/b]
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I don't know what your other system is, but I have a dualboot on my laptop with Xp and Ubuntu with which I share the same VMs. My Server 2003 works just fine in both systems, but I have this same issue with XP. I installed the virtual XP on my Ubuntu system, reboot to normal XP and start the virtual XP gives a bsod too. I did manage to get it working a couple of times, but it was after a few BSODs though. Have you tried safe mode?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.