ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Re: suspend to ram fails wenn the vbox modul is loaded

Post by ingo2 »

Me just came up some probably useful information:

to allow mutiple s2ram + resume in the host operating system I had to:

a) disable "usb-legacy support" in the BIOS of the MoBo.
b) blacklist the module "snd-usb-audio" which does not have a suspend/resume script.
(this module is otherwise loaded automaticallyfor the microphone in my Web-Cam)

Without these 2 configurations together the host would only suspend+resume once, the second attempt to suspend will fail (already without VBox installed).

c) unloading usblp (as currently done for suspend) is probably only optional, I did that becaus usblp does not have a suspend/resume script.

So, if VBox is gathering information on attached USB-devices directly from the devices, it could probably recognize the audio-device in the webcam, which of course does not have a module loaded in the host?

With best regards,
Ingo
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

Frank Mehnert wrote:fixedwheel: Can you explain your problem and the solution again? Did I understand you correctly that you unloaded/re-loaded the tg3 module for suspend/resume and that this made the networking stop working and that is actually not necessary?
Problem: tg3 (Debian Lenny) needs unload/reload for working network after resume

Fix: /etc/pm/config.d/module

Code: Select all

# If you need to unload any modules to suspend/resume, add them here.
SUSPEND_MODULES="tg3"
Problem follow up: when VBox guest running "bridged" mode while suspending host makes host network defunct after resume
No fix (i'm lazy and lame) did /etc/init.d/networking restart manually when missed to "savestate close" the guest before suspend

Solution: this might have been a Linux kernel bug (google: linux tg3 suspend resume) thats fixed now (2.6.39-2 Debian Wheezy) no need for /etc/pm/config.d/module any more
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

Today I gave it another try:

a) did not unload usblp for suspend (removed in /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules)
b) upgraded to 4.0.10

This made things even worse:
s2ram + resume performed only once, then mouse got dead in the guest shortly after resume.

So this really could be an indication for USB issues. Back to 4.0.4 and all is fine again.
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

Here some info obtained with VBox 4.0.4 which beheaves well with usblp unloaded for s2ram, gathered with

cat /var/log/messges | grep usblp
After booting up the host:

Jul  9 13:37:56 pp kernel: [    6.580096] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x1004
Jul  9 13:37:56 pp kernel: [    6.582095] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
Jul  9 13:37:58 pp kernel: [   11.802359] usb 2-3: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1
going into suspend (s2ram):

Jul  9 14:41:03 pp kernel: [ 3796.188060] usbcore: deregistering interface driver usblp
Jul  9 14:41:03 pp kernel: [ 3796.188334] usblp0: removed
and here the enrties from resume from s2ram:

Jul  9 14:50:11 pp kernel: [ 3811.369234] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x1004
Jul  9 14:50:11 pp kernel: [ 3811.369268] usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
Jul  9 14:51:08 pp kernel: [ 3867.857068] usblp0: removed
Sasquatch
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I just checked my own Host based on your module and I found out that your module is loaded for printers. If you don't have your printer connected or turned on, it should not load and your s2ram should work fine, because the module isn't loaded. But once you do turn on your printer, the module will get loaded and stay loaded.

Solution? I think that part is at the developer of the usb printer module, usblp. But maybe VB can work around the problem with the module in some way. That is, if you can find a link between VB and the module. So what happens if no VB module is loaded and you suspend a few times with the usb printer module loaded? Any problems?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

Sasquatch wrote: Solution? I think that part is at the developer of the usb printer module, usblp.
Basically you are rigtht, the usblp module should have a suspend_resume script. My printer is permanently attached to the PC via USB. Normally it is in standby and is fired up as soon as I send a print job. Both, PC and Printer are attached to the APC-UPS. Even if printer is in standby it reports itself and communicates/can be activated via USB.
But maybe VB can work around the problem with the module in some way. That is, if you can find a link between VB and the module. So what happens if no VB module is loaded and you suspend a few times with the usb printer module loaded? Any problems?
All is perfectly working without VBox installed, and with VBox <= 4.0.4. I can suspend any time and resume as often as I like - no problems.

This usblp issue not having a suspend_resume script exists since kernel 2.6.32 in Lucid and in Squeeze. I doubt that it will be cured in future? And please don't forget: it was fine throughout earlier VBox-Versions.

Best regards,
Ingo
Last edited by ingo2 on 9. Jul 2011, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

How often do you print? If it's not that often, then you may consider turning the printer off. I have mine off all the time unless I want to print something. Other work around would be to make it a network printer so you don't have to turn it off all the time. Of course, these are only patches to a problem that should not exist as you noted. A complete fix should still be required because I'm sure other users will have a USB printer they rarely use, but when they do and they want to suspend, they hit this problem.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

pico_c_nickel

Post by pico_c_nickel »

pico_c_nickel wrote:I'm suffering from the same issue. Additionaly machine doesn't switch off after init 0, I have to do it manually with the power switch. Instead a kernel panic appears regarding vboxdrv (sorry, don't have time to post exact error message).
I made a photo of the error message (sorry for bad quality): http://i56.tinypic.com/s18fh4.jpg
This occurs if I want to shutdown my machine. The same seems to happen during suspend.

If I change the default stop runlevels in /etc/init.d/vboxdrv from "0" to "0 1 6" machine shuts down properly again! What's the reason for not using the defaults here?
Regarding suspend/resume, if I add "vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci vboxdrv" to /etc/pm/config.d/module machine suspends/resumes properly again!

If you need further information, please ask.

Regards
Last edited by pico_c_nickel on 10. Jul 2011, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

Sasquatch wrote:How often do you print? If it's not that often, then you may consider turning the printer off.
Turning off the printer is not as easy as you assume. It is a good old and reliable hp DeskJet 970cxi. It has a button to turn it off, but that is just putting it in standby/soft-off with very low power consumption, but still allows wake-up via USB - which printer today does have a real mains switch??? I would have to unplug the power cable from my UPS!
Sasquatch wrote:But once you do turn on your printer, the module will get loaded and stay loaded.
This indicates that usblp module is designed to be loaded and unloaded on demand - so a special suspend/resume function appears obsolet in the view of the kernel developers?

Without unloading usblp I get following enty in /var/log/messages each time I perform s2ram:

kernel: [ 146.895035] usblp 2-3:1.0: no reset_resume for driver usblp?
Moreover it is not unusual that you unload modules for suspend, just because they do not re-initialize correctly on resume - so this is common practise. Besides usblp I have to unload ivtv module as well (supports my TV-card). So things might even become worse when the possibility to pass-through PCI(e) devices to the guest will be implemented?

With best regards,
Ingo

What about a pragmatic solution: split VBox into a desktop edition (which also takes care of suspend/resume) and a server/workstation edition where such properties are not needed?
Attachments
var.log.messages-VBox4.0.4-mit_s2ram.txt
Just for your information:
"messages" with VBox 4.0.4 and suspent+resume which works fine with usblp unloaded
(83.28 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

ingo2 wrote:It has a button to turn it off, but that is just putting it in standby/soft-off with very low power consumption, but still allows wake-up via USB - which printer today does have a real mains switch???
My printer, an HP PSC 2175, has a soft touch power button too, no hard switch like thing. It doesn't wake on USB and when I press the button, it does turn on or off completely.
ingo2 wrote:This indicates that usblp module is designed to be loaded and unloaded on demand - so a special suspend/resume function appears obsolete in the view of the kernel developers?
No idea, but when I turned the printer off, the module was still loaded. If it would be loaded and unloaded on demand, I would expect the module to be unloaded automatically when the system is send to suspend, be it ram or disk. If the kernel devs would think it is obsolete, it's not programmed very well IMO.

ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

Hi Sasquatch,

I now made an experiment which probably took me a bit further:

According to CUPS-documentation here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU ... ting_usblp in paragraph
USB printers under CUPS 1.4.x

I blacklisted 'usblp' and found that my printer works fine without that module using 'libusb'. So the "old" way via /dev/usb/lpX is no longer used.

With this configuration I again upgraded VBox to 4.0.10 and -> The mouse problem is immediately observed after 1st suspend+resume!
Exactly the same situation as if I let usblp load at boot-up and do not unload for suspend, leaving usblp inoperative after resume.

Downgrading to 4.0.4 makes it disapper completely - right now I have done > 5 suspend+resume with 4.0.4 and all is fine.

So, my understanding now is VBox > 4.0.4 somehow blocks/looses the printer device after resume, which here is /dev/bus/usb/002/003 (or races with cupsd for catching that device???)

ls -l /dev/bus/usb/002/003
crw-rw-r--+ 1 root lp 189, 130 10. Jul 17:41 /dev/bus/usb/002/003
It has permissions 664 owner=root, group=lp

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:c404 Logitech, Inc. TrackMan Wheel
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:c03d Logitech, Inc. M-BT96a Pilot Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 03f0:1004 Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 970c/970cse
The problem is now seen immediately after resume because CUPS does no longer have the alternative to print via 'usblp' as before, where I had to perform several suspends until I could observe the mous problem in VBox guests.

Probably this will help technicans to pin it further down (affected is Lucid and Squeeze). If more info is needed, please let me know,
Ingo
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

I have now set up a separate test installation of Squeeze-amd64, VBox 4.0.4 + 2 VM's and taken full backup for fast restore (takes only minutes). Blacklisted modules: usblp, snd-usb-audio.

Upgrading to 4.0.10, 1x s2ram and printing on a USB-printer with a VM running causes the "mouse problems". So my conclusion is that it has somehow to do with USB.

Please let me know which additional information you need, this is a test system where I cand do almost anything.
Best regards,
Ingo
ingo2

Post by ingo2 »

So, I just got the guest in the VM to freeze.
With VM up and running and the USB-WebCam attached to the host running and displaying in "Cheese", I did:
a) suspend the host
b) resume the host - WebCam continuing to work smoothly as expected.
c) close "Cheese" which switches off the WebCam as well

Guest in the VM freezes with full CPU load and 1 core of the host as well, see output from top:

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND            
 2760 ingo      20   0  750m 196m 169m S  108  3.3  62:18.18 VirtualBox         
 2148 root      20   0  136m  48m  19m S    2  0.8  11:16.03 Xorg             
I now closed the VM with saving its state (host is still running smoothly with low CPU-usage). This VM is now dead!

d) I now removed/backuped all existing log files and started-up the VM, what ends in the "frozen state" of it.
e) close and save the VM again. I do attach the machine's log from this cycle.

Please note that the VM is configured without any USB adapter!
This VM is still available on my test system, please advise what additional information is needed.
Attachments
VBox.log
Boot up and subsequent shutdown (save) a frozen VM. Host Squeeze-amd64
(56.95 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
CME
Guest OSses: windows 98se, 2k, xp, 7, solaris, opensolaris, reactos, ubuntu, debian,...

Post by CME »

still a problem with beta 2 (just modprobing vboxdrv and s2r is enough), can't try beta 3 because of http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43142

is it possible to print some debug messages to the screen when doing s2r? maybe that could give some hints why it fails.