VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rustleg

VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable

Post by rustleg »

I am running Debian Etch with Gnome. I want to use a different directory for my Virtualbox con?guration directory, so according to the manual it says " you can supply an alternate con?guration directory by setting the VBOX_USER_HOME environment variable." I suppose it assumes you know how to set this.

I have added

Code: Select all

export VBOX_USER_HOME=/my/Vbox/Base
to my /home/me/.bashrc file. When I run env in a terminal I can see this variable is defined ok. But Virtualbox doesn't use it for some reason.

I can't find how the Gnome menu item for "Innotek Virtualbox" is launched. I created a separate launcher for the desktop with the command Virtualbox which runs but again doesn't use my custom directory.

This is probably a simple problem for a Linux expert but I haven't been able to find the solution.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Simpelest I would do, is create a symbolic link to the new config folder. I have the same for Wine. Wine insists it uses my home folder, but I don't like that, so I symlinked it to the location where I do want stuff to go to.

Code: Select all

ln -s /path/to/vbox/settings /home/[user]/.virtualbox
Not the way VBox would go, but it works without any problems.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
rustleg

Post by rustleg »

Thanks Sasquatch,this works fine.

I never considered making a symlink - actually this is the first time I have created a directory symbolic link. You have given me a tool I can think of using in the future. Much appreciated.