VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT - solved

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
AthLux

VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT - solved

Post by AthLux »

I've installed Virtualbox 4.0.4 on my Debian Squeeze and get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).
if I starts a virtual machine.

I searched the net and found some threads regarding "my" problem but no solution.
Nevertheless I found a solution for me and ! want to share it with others.

Details regarding the error I found within the logfile. Especially:

Code: Select all

00:00:01.895 pdmR3LoadR0U: pszName="VMMR0.r0" rc=VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT szErr="The owner is not root: '/usr'"
...and that was true :-) Don't no why but the owner of /usr wasn't root. I changed that and virtualbox was starting at the next try.

br
AthLux
drmarkvilla
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu.Win7

Re: VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT - solved

Post by drmarkvilla »

Same thing for me, but the directory was '/opt'. Too bad they couldn't mention that in the popup!
ppballoons
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Win XP

Post by ppballoons »

I'm getting this error now on my imac and cannot start any vitualbox or even create a new one.

I get this error the second I start any virtual box:

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882}

The log is pasted below. Any help appreciated

00:00:56.469 VirtualBox 4.0.6 r71344 darwin.x86 (Apr 21 2011 12:25:46) release log
00:00:56.469 Log opened 2011-05-08T08:20:54.009176000Z
00:00:56.469 OS Product: Darwin
00:00:56.469 OS Release: 9.8.0
00:00:56.469 OS Version: Darwin Kernel Version 9.8.0: Wed Jul 15 16:55:01 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELEASE_I386
00:00:56.471 DMI Product Name: iMac8,1
00:00:56.473 DMI Product Version: 1.0
00:00:56.474 Host RAM: 3072MB RAM, available: 2090MB
00:00:56.474 Executable: /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
00:00:56.474 Process ID: 434
00:00:56.474 Package type: DARWIN_32BITS_GENERIC
00:00:56.478 pdmR3LoadR0U: pszName="VMMR0.r0" rc=VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT szErr="The owner is not root: '/Applications'"
00:00:56.478 VMSetError: /Users/vbox/tinderbox/4.0-mac-rel/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VM.cpp(583) int vmR3CreateU(UVM*, uint32_t, int (*)(VM*, void*), void*); rc=VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT
00:00:56.478 VMSetError: Failed to load VMMR0.r0
00:00:56.478 VMSetError: /Users/vbox/tinderbox/4.0-mac-rel/src/VBox/VMM/VMMR3/VM.cpp(354) int VMR3Create(uint32_t, const VMM2USERMETHODS*, void (*)(VM*, void*, int, const char*, unsigned int, const char*, const char*, char*), void*, int (*)(VM*, void*), void*, VM**); rc=VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT
00:00:56.478 VMSetError: Unknown error creating VM
00:00:56.478 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882} aComponent={Console} aText={Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).
00:00:56.478 Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT)}, preserve=false
00:00:56.539 Power up failed (vrc=VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT, rc=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005))
ksauber
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ksauber »

MMmmmm ... not solved for me.

I have a Mac host running 10.5.8, and I was running Ubuntu 11.04 as a client. Not any more.

I can't even create a new client without getting "Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT)"
I reinstalled V'Box to no effect.
Removed and attempted to reinstall all client images, to no effect.
I've restored previously working copies of V'Box as well as the client, to no effect.

I've poked around the MAC file system, but don't see anything out of line.

I'm going to attempt to run an earlier version of V'Box to see if that makes a difference.

Don't know what else to do
ksauber

Post by ksauber »

Followup - I opened a terminal window and poked around the root directory.
Found that the "Applications" folder had both owner and group changed to, apparently, a random entry.

Changed the owner to root, and that allows V'Box to open. Still checking as to what the group should be.

Looks to me like there might be some malware out there that's to blame, though nothing shows up on a sweep.
Lola
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Post by Lola »

Hi Im having this problem.

I do not have any experience using Terminal so I need step by step instructions to do what you suggest.

I used the Repair Permissions method and it was not enough, I still cannot open my VirtualBox.

Please help me!
ksauber

Post by ksauber »

I'll see if I can help ... Please note I am running Mac OS 10.5.8, and this may be slightly different on other versions.
Currently, I have no way of checking for any differences.

Open Applications, then Utilities then find the file Terminal.app -- click on that to open

NOTE: In the following I will use the _ (underscore) symbol to indicate a blank space. Do No type the _ system or nothing here will work at all.

My comments will be placed between { } brackets. Do Not type in the brackets or anything between them.

Type the following in the Terminal window.
cd_/     {That's "cd" followed by a space followed by a forward leaning "/"}
ls_-l    {That's  "ls" followed by a space followed by the minus sign "-" followed by a lower case "l' }
You should see something like the following:
drwxr-xr-x+ 103 root    staff      3502 Jun  6 17:32 Applications
-rw-r--r--@   1 root    staff     16384 Nov  2  2008 Desktop DB
-rw-r--r--@   1 root    staff    107970 Nov  2  2008 Desktop DF
drwxrwxr-x+  56 root    admin      1904 Jun  6 17:24 Library
drwxr-xr-x@   2 root    wheel        68 Sep  5  2008 Network
-rw-rw-rw-    1 laptop  admin         2 Mar  1 18:30 Shockwave Log
drwxr-xr-x    4 root    wheel       136 Aug 29  2009 System
drwxr-xr-x    5 root    admin       170 Oct 26  2008 Users
drwxrwxrwt@   6 root    admin       204 Jun  6 17:32 Volumes
drwxr-xr-x@  40 root    wheel      1360 Aug 29  2009 bin
drwxrwxr-t@   2 root    admin        68 Sep  5  2008 cores
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root    wheel       512 Jun  6 17:03 dev
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root    admin        11 Sep 20  2008 etc -> private/etc
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root    wheel         1 Jun  6 17:03 home
-rw-r--r--@   1 root    wheel  10367028 Aug 11  2009 mach_kernel
-rw-r--r--@   1 root    wheel  10822172 Aug 11  2009 mach_kernel.ctfsys
dr-xr-xr-x    2 root    wheel         1 Jun  6 17:03 net
drwxr-xr-x@   6 root    wheel       204 Sep 20  2008 private
drwxr-xr-x@  66 root    wheel      2244 Apr 17 19:27 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root    admin        11 Sep 20  2008 tmp -> private/tmp
drwxr-xr-x@  12 root    wheel       408 Nov 16  2008 usr
lrwxr-xr-x@   1 root    admin        11 Sep 20  2008 var -> private/var
For the Applications folder as shown above, the "owner" is "root" and the "group" it belongs to is set as "staff".
Please note, I am NOT convinced that the group is set correctly, I can only say that it is working for me.

For future reference write down what is currently showing as "group" and "owner" on your system.

If you wish to change the owner of Applications, enter the following in the Terminal window:
sudo chown root Applications
You will be prompted for your password. Enter it and press return.

To verify that the change has been made, enter:

ls_-l

once again. Remember the "_" indicates a space.

To change the group, enter the following:
sudo chgrp staff Applications
You should not be prompted for your password again.

verify the change with the "ls_-l" command as before.

I hope you can follow these rambling instructions and that they work for you.
Lola
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Post by Lola »

Thanks a lot!!!!

It worked perfectly!!
nexius
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: All

Post by nexius »

Just to share my experience:

You could have changed the ownership of the /usr just by copying as "root" with "cp -a '/somewhere/path/usr/' '/ ' " something extracted as "user"
Example:
you are in /some/path/you/know;
extract something as normal user and get your extracted files into "./usr";
now, you make a "sudo cp -a /some/path/you/know/usr/ / " to copy your extracted files in the right localtion;
Doing this, the ownership of all folders matched by the files' path you copied, is changed to the username that own the original extracted files.

I hope I have been clear. It is importanto to know what above, not just to make virtualbox works but for the system general correct working.
linbynd

Post by linbynd »

Thanks, for the help this worked for me... /usr permissions had changed to the sudo user and users... not really sure if that is related to the new upgrade of Virtualbox and the way it si applying the permissions.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

We had a report that on Linux, installing the Adobe Flash plugin may change the directory ownership.

FWIW, on my Mac the /Applications directory is owned by root/admin while /Library is owned by root/wheel. For VirtualBox the group probably doesn't matter, but the owner (root) definitely does.

I don't think VirtualBox changes the ownership (otherwise I'd see the problem on my systems), but something else might. Folks need to keep an eye on their systems and see if, when, or how the /Applications (on OS X) or /opt or /usr (on Linux) directory owner changes.
linbynd

Post by linbynd »

michaln wrote:We had a report that on Linux, installing the Adobe Flash plugin may change the directory ownership.

FWIW, on my Mac the /Applications directory is owned by root/admin while /Library is owned by root/wheel. For VirtualBox the group probably doesn't matter, but the owner (root) definitely does.

I don't think VirtualBox changes the ownership (otherwise I'd see the problem on my systems), but something else might. Folks need to keep an eye on their systems and see if, when, or how the /Applications (on OS X) or /opt or /usr (on Linux) directory owner changes.

I just kinda speculated it, coz i was on 4.1.8 and upgraded to 4.1.10... I need to upgrade the extension pack as well. so I did that.. after a while i tired starting up the machines, they gave the issue,

HMMMMM on second thooughts I did install a few icon sets.... I am checkin on it as well..... that could have also caused the issue....I shoud have noted the 'stat' values for the directory.... I guess I should run OSIRIS or some kinda hids to just track these directories that might help...

Thanks for the update about Flash... Will keep an eye on Flash upgrades...
jrad

Post by jrad »

Just wanted to confirm that I upgraded my adobe flash plugin on my linux box with "install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz" and it changed the permissions of my /usr directory which caused virtualbox to no longer function.
rbenatti

Post by rbenatti »

Realmente ...
após instalar o plugin flashPlayer, este indivíduo troca o dono/grupo dos diretórios: /usr /usr/lib/ e /usr/share

retorne as coisas ao normal [ sudo chown root.root /usr /usr/lib /usr/share ] e as VM's voltam do túmulo .... :)

Really ...
after install flashplayer plugin, this guy changes the owner / group of the directory: / usr / usr / lib / and / usr / share

return things to normal [ sudo chown root.root / usr / usr / lib / usr / share ] and VM's return from the grave .... :)
DougDGross

Post by DougDGross »

I had a similar issue, although my specific problem was due to subdirectories under /usr having incorrect ownership. The culprit was an update of Adobe Flash Player, and I think I know the reason. I am running Fedora 19 as my host OS, and I have given my non-root user admin rights. The Adobe flash player install requires root to install it, but since my user already had admin rights it installed as that user. Several subdirectories under /usr including /usr/lib had the wrong ownership. Once they were returned to root.root all was fine.