Gnome Shell

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
robatino

Re: Gnome Shell

Post by robatino »

I have Gnome Shell working in the newly released VirtualBox 4.0.8 (with new extension pack and guest additions installed). My host supports 3D and it's enabled in the guest. It's very flaky. For example, when the guest window is covered by a host window, it doesn't redraw properly, though going to Overview mode and back fixes that. And selecting System Settings/System Info messes up the whole screen. But it's a good start.

Edit: Host is Fedora 14 x86_64 with GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and using the proprietary Nvidia driver. Guest is Fedora 15 x86_64 with the updates-testing repo enabled.
Last edited by robatino on 17. May 2011, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Yes I noted the white screen of death earlier today in the OSE section before the release as well as a few other things I saw. Still it is not that flakey for me. It also seems that your Video (host) card has somthing to do with this and it may even be partitally a host issue of sorts too. Everything is so new, and even Ubuntu and Fedora are saying that it may not be stable until their next release.
JulianTosh
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: fedora window7

Post by JulianTosh »

michael wrote:That looks to me like our installer selected the wrong driver. If you take a look at /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ (correct that path if necessary) you will see that vboxvideo_drv.so is a symlink to what is supposed to be the right driver version. Could you try correcting that symlink to see if that solves the problem?

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      50 May 26 12:23 vboxvideo_drv.so -> /usr/lib64/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxvideo_drv_110.so*
Any idea how I determine what it *should* be pointing to?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

JulianTosh wrote:

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root      50 May 26 12:23 vboxvideo_drv.so -> /usr/lib64/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxvideo_drv_110.so*
That is as it should be. Given that you haven't commented on this thread before though, what is not working for you?
JulianTosh
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: fedora window7

Post by JulianTosh »

michael wrote:Given that you haven't commented on this thread before though, what is not working for you?
Having the same problem described earlier in this thread... I'm unable to get my F15 guest's gnome-shell to run on my Win7 host.
(EE) AIGLX error: vboxvideo does not export required DRI extension
Y E T I
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: ?

Post by Y E T I »

Partial files. no files. Does no one know how to post error or log files?

By the way if you are having issues with Gnome 3 on Fedora, Ubuntu, or even openSUSE 12.1 (yeah I know it's beta) you more than likely need to update your hosts graphics drivers.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

JulianTosh wrote:
michael wrote:Given that you haven't commented on this thread before though, what is not working for you?
Having the same problem described earlier in this thread... I'm unable to get my F15 guest's gnome-shell to run on my Win7 host.
(EE) AIGLX error: vboxvideo does not export required DRI extension
That nice little "error" can be ignored. Everyone gets it and doesn't mean 3D doesn't work. Since others did manage to get Gnome Shell working, this is the least of your worries. Fedora can be a real pain in the neck sometimes. That's why I don't bother using it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
robatino

Post by robatino »

In a Gnome 3 guest (either Gnome Shell or fallback mode), the guest doesn't recognize some keyboard combinations, even though I have "Auto Capture Keyboard" checked in "File" -> "Preferences" -> "Input" -> "Auto-capture keyboard". For example, in Gnome Shell, I can't use the Alt key to display the "Power Off..." option in the User Menu, and in fallback mode, I can't use Alt+right click to remove launchers from the panel. Both of these work on bare metal.
seonghuhn
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP

Post by seonghuhn »

Gnome Shell is working for me after upgrading to VirtualBox 4.1.6. It did not work for me with VirtualBox 4.0.8 and I had to turn off 3D acceleration.