Shared Folder Not Appearing (Ubuntu 10 host, Win 7 Guest)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
BrianMJC
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, 8, 10

Shared Folder Not Appearing (Ubuntu 10 host, Win 7 Guest)

Post by BrianMJC »

So I set up VirtualBox 4.0.6 on my Ubuntu 10.10 x64 host to run Windows 7 Pro x64, and it works pretty well with a few issues. One issue is that shared folders do not show up in my guest OS.

What I've Done So Far: I installed the Guest Additions to no avail. I setup "/home/brian" as my shared folder, with Auto-Mount set to "Yes" and Access set to "Full" in the Shared Folders popup (from clicking "Devices > Shared Folders..." in the guest window. In the Edit Share popup (from clicking the yellow Edit button in the Shared Folders popup), I can confirm that the folder path is /home/brian, the folder name is brian, and that Auto-Mount and Make Permanent are both checked on (Read Only is off). I noted in another somewhat similar post here that setting my ethernet adapter to bridged instead of NAT might help, but it hasn't. I read the user manual and can confirm that I followed all instructions correctly. The manual says i should be seeing the shared folder come up as a letter-assigned disk partition in My Computer, but it still does not appear.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.
BrianMJC

Re: Shared Folder Not Appearing (Ubuntu 10 host, Win 7 Guest)

Post by BrianMJC »

* bump *

Anybody? Still having this problem, don't know what to do, thanks.
BrianMJC

Post by BrianMJC »

I linked to this topic from a new topic on the Windows Guest forum: http://forum.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41452

NOTE: I know there is a "one issue, one thread" rule. But a) nobody here seems to have any answers after over a week, b) maybe it's a Windows problem rather than a Linux one, and c) I cross-linked both topics rather than reposted a separate topic, so that all responses to both topics are easy to spot. Hope this is acceptable, thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Strange. I don't have an issue with Ubuntu 10.10 host and Win 7 guest accessing shared folders. (see screen shot)
Share is set to my ubuntu home and auto-mount. You can try to take the auto-mount off and see if the share will show up in the network like it has always done (see users manual). Make sure that you have the latest version of VirtualBox.

Question: Did you get your VirtualBox from VirtualBox.org or from the Ubuntu repo.?
share-u1010-win7-auto.png
share-u1010-win7-auto.png (71.27 KiB) Viewed 49820 times
BrianMJC

Post by BrianMJC »

Hi Perryg,

Thanks for the response. I got VirtualBox 4.0.6 from virtualbox.org, not the repo. Originally I had the repo version, but I did uninstall it, and installed the vbox.org version to get USB devices working. In Computer on my machine, all I see is Local Disk (C:). Knocking off Auto-mount does nothing that I can see, I still just see Local Disk (C:) in my Computer.
Phil Doomen
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows7 XP

Post by Phil Doomen »

My shared folder on Windows7 guest doesn't show as a mapped drive, it shows under Network as VBOXSVR share. Works fine from there for me.
BrianMJC

Post by BrianMJC »

Thanks Phil, but it doesn't appear there for me either, either with manual or auto-mount set.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I have nothing for you. This works for almost everyone and I can not reproduce your issue.

The only pre-requisite is the guest additions be installed (in the guest). Make sure that they are working properly and if you can not resolve this the only thing I can think of it to post a ticket to bugtracker
BrianMJC

Post by BrianMJC »

Thanks Perryg, I'll do that. The guest additions were in fact installed in the guest.

It's not necessary to keep the virtual guest additions disk "in" the CD/DVD drive, correct?
Phil Doomen
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows7 XP

Post by Phil Doomen »

Correct about the guest additions. You should be able to deselect this as a mounted drive. I use 10.10 and Win7 but the 32 bit versions. I added my home drive (home/philip) to my shared folders just now in my Win7 guest and didn't select any of the options for auto-mount and permanent. Sadly for you it worked perfectly, so I too am out of ideas.

Phil
BrianMJC

Post by BrianMJC »

Thanks Phil. Strange stuff.

For kicks and giggles, I'm creating a second virtual machine, this time with an old Win XP Pro 32 bit CD. I'll report back whether or not shared folders works with that vm.
BrianMJC

Post by BrianMJC »

The shared folder works perfectly in my WinXP Pro SP3 32 bit vm. I did the same exact procedure for my Win7 machine, same settings (except obviously using a WinXP CD and install), yet it still doesn't work. Something's wrong here... hopefully this bug, or whatever's going on here, will be resolved as I still need Win7 working with that shared folder.

Thanks again guys, your efforts have been much appreciated.
oddiofile
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows7

Post by oddiofile »

Same identical problem. Can't see shared folders from Windows7.
Was using Virtualbox 3.0.
Upgrading to 4.0 and now I can see the shared drives. Works great.