Windows GUEST accessing my local webserver on Ubuntu HOST?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mrmoney

Windows GUEST accessing my local webserver on Ubuntu HOST?

Post by mrmoney »

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to have a setup like so.
On my Ubuntu HOST, I have my own local webserver running on which I can do my web developement locally.

I installed VirtualBox and Windows XP as a GUEST for the sole purpose of being able to test various browsers on a windows OS.

So ideally Id like the WinXP guest to just be able to hit my webserver running on my Ubuntu OS.

Normally I would have a webserver running on Windows and just modify the hosts file to point certain domains at the local server, but that would require copying the files over from Ubuntu to Windows and running to separete servers when all I want in Windows is to be able to test sites in the browsers.

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

I have this working just fine. Use NAT networking (bridge also works) and enter the ip address 10.0.2.2 in the browser. That should get to your host system and show the webpage. It works for me, so it should work for you too.
mrmoney

Post by mrmoney »

thanks for the reply.

I use named virtual hosts for developement, so I would like to be able to access the webpage via 'local.mysite.com' or other similar names.

Modifying the hosts file to point my virtualhost names to 10.0.2.2 has done the trick though. Thanks a lot