Gnome Shell

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
kahun
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Arch, Ubuntu

Re: Gnome Shell

Post by kahun »

The same happens in Arch and the new xorg upgrade. The problem is not in the os

Regards
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Correct, it is xorg that's the problem, but before that's done, the OS itself has specific configuration as well for it's kernel next to xorg. This combination in configuration can change with each update during development, so alpha releases are almost never supported and beta releases sometimes.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sweetlandj@gmail.com
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Post by sweetlandj@gmail.com »

I'm running a development snapshot of the 4.0.5 guest additions and that resolves the ABI issue, but Gnome Shell still will not start. Compiz and Kwin effects work just fine in the Natty beta.

Plymouth appears in text mode when starting the Fedora 15 alpha, but I see the graphical splashes with Natty. Do the guest addition drivers support KMS?

At this point it seems to be something particular to either Fedora 15 or Gnome Shell. I've seen reports that Gnome Shell starts in OpenSUSE 11.4 under VirtualBox with guest additions installed, but I have no first-hand experience with that.
scottishwildcat
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Solaris 11, Fedora, XP

Post by scottishwildcat »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm talking about the state of the OS in general and the required Guest Additions to get OpenGL. No GA, no OpenGL. 3D needs to be enabled though, else it will never work. It's shown in the past that OpenGL works just fine. People have been playing games (TuxRacer anyone?) and used Compiz desktop effects for quite some time already.
Yes, Compiz has been working fine for me, too. But gnome-shell has never rendered or worked properly with the guest additions enabled, on any combination of guest+host you care to try, from the day the first alpha code first hit the repositories a couple of years ago to the day of the first official release last month.
Last edited by scottishwildcat on 27. Apr 2011, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
scottishwildcat

sweetlandj@gmail.com wrote:At this point it seems to be something particular to either Fedora 15 or Gnome Shell. I've seen reports that Gnome Shell starts in OpenSUSE 11.4 under VirtualBox with guest additions installed, but I have no first-hand experience with that.
Yes, it starts in OpenSuSE, but it doesn't do anything that you could reasonably describe as "working".
scottishwildcat

didierg wrote:At this time the fisrt problem to fix is not a problem with Fedora 15 Alpha, Beta, GA, ..... but a problem between version of Xorg provided with Fedora and VirtualBox vboxvideo_drv.so. This problem could be fixed independently of the state of development of Fedora 15...
Have you tried with VirtualBox 4.0.6, released last week ? That has added support for some newer versions of X.org.
ci4ic4
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
Guest OSses: Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, OpenSolaris

Post by ci4ic4 »

didierg wrote:At this time the fisrt problem to fix is not a problem with Fedora 15 Alpha, Beta, GA, ..... but a problem between version of Xorg provided with Fedora and VirtualBox vboxvideo_drv.so :

Code: Select all

[    11.823] (II) LoadModule: "vboxvideo"
[    11.828] (II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so
[    11.828] (II) Module vboxvideo: vendor="Oracle Corporation"
[    11.828] 	compiled for 1.5.99.901, module version = 1.0.1
[    11.828] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[    11.828] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 9.0
[    11.828] (EE) module ABI major version (9) doesn't match the server's version (10)
[    11.828] (II) UnloadModule: "vboxvideo"
[    11.828] (II) Unloading vboxvideo
[    11.828] (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
[    11.828] (EE) No drivers available.
[    11.828] 
Fatal server error:
[    11.828] no screens found
[    11.828] 
This problem could be fixed independently of the state of development of Fedora 15...

Not quite - under VBox 4.0.6 hosted by OpenSolaris (x64, high-end NVidia graphics card with full acceleration) with guest extensions installed vboxvideo loads cleanly with dri and the rest. The problem is with the AIGLX extension:

[ 723.901] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[ 723.902] drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
[ 723.902] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
[ 723.902] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[ 723.902] drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
[ 723.902] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 12
[ 723.902] drmOpenByBusid: Interface 1.4 failed, trying 1.1
[ 723.902] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
[ 723.931] (II) Next line is added to allow vboxvideo_drv.so to appear as whitelisted driver
[ 723.931] (II) The file referenced, is *NOT* loaded
[ 723.931] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//ati_drv.so
[ 723.931] (EE) AIGLX error: vboxvideo does not export required DRI extension
[ 723.933] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[ 724.238] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
[ 724.238] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

So it *looks* vboxvideo needs some work (Gnome Shell doesn't start).

Chavdar
Attachments
Xorg.0-F15a-VBox4.0.6-x64.log
Fedora 15 Alpha (x64), VBox 4.0.6 hosted by OpenSolaris snv134
(30.22 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
JH
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu, Distro-hopping

Post by JH »

Ubuntu 11.04 is about to be released. I notice they're defaulting to the Unity desktop, I've tried it, but I prefer Gnome. So anyway, since Gnome3 is the other option, I'm trying to get it working on 11.04.

Interestingly, Gnome3 wasn't shipping with 11.04 beta, so I installed it seperately, but it keeps failing-back to Gnome2, giving some error about the hardware not being good enough.

Tonight I'll try turning on 3D and 2D acceleration and whacking up video memory *before* running the 11.04 installation to see if it detects the GL-enabled card correctly.
robatino

Post by robatino »

Post by Adam Jackson on the fedora devel list concerning getting GNOME Shell working in VirtualBox. He's working on using software rendering (which should work much more generally, not just VirtualBox), and I asked about the possibility of using VirtualBox's built-in 3D passthrough support. Anyone know more?

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermai ... 50910.html
JH

Post by JH »

Is 'Gnome 3' and 'Gnome Shell' the same thing?
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

JH wrote:Is 'Gnome 3' and 'Gnome Shell' the same thing?
Not exactly. Gnome 3 refers to a desktop manager and Gnome Shell is well a shell. While you can get the Gnome 3 DM to work the shell seems to be where all the fuss is about. It now requires you to have direct access to hardware to be able to use it, (some are working on software rendering) and is limited to a specific subset of PC components.

Units older than 4 years more than likely will have issues for sometime, if not forever. Functionality and features are extremely limited at this point, native or in a virtual environment.

Configurability is also an issue, it appears to be their way or no way. From what I have read the idea is to have it to where it just works out-of-the-box, but to do this they needed to be specific in how they did it.
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

JH wrote:Ubuntu 11.04 is about to be released. I notice they're defaulting to the Unity desktop, I've tried it, but I prefer Gnome. So anyway, since Gnome3 is the other option, I'm trying to get it working on 11.04.
Interestingly, Gnome3 wasn't shipping with 11.04 beta, so I installed it separately, but it keeps failing-back to Gnome2, giving some error about the hardware not being good enough.
Tonight I'll try turning on 3D and 2D acceleration and whacking up video memory *before* running the 11.04 installation to see if it detects the GL-enabled card correctly.
Ubuntu made a decision, based on the lack of functionality with machines to not go the Gnome 3 route and built their version called Unity that uses Compiz to achieve the same results. 11.04 release date is tomorrow but if you have version 4.0.6 of VirtualBox it does work. You must have the latest guest additions installed and 3D turned on in the guest settings but it does work fairly well. Fedora 15 Gnome 3 on the other hand is struggling in VirtualBox but I have been able to get it to work (to a fashion) in development versions of VirtualBox.
JH

Post by JH »

Interesting that Compiz, which also uses OpenGL, works fine.

Unity+Compiz is a standalone DM? - i.e. it doesn't need KDE or Gnome libraries sitting underneath? - And does Gnome Shell require Gnome 3 to be installed, or is it 'standalone'?

After I'd installed Gnome 3 and tried to get it running, it appeared to fall-back to Gnome 2 (if the 'about' box is to be believed)

btw, I'm on VB 4.0.4, so I'll have to update first.
JH

Post by JH »

Okay, I've tried Gnome Shell on Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2, running in VB 4.0.6 on OSX 10.6.7 (iMac with 4Gb RAM) - guest additions installed, 3D enabled, graphics memory maxed.

It sat at a blue screen for a while, then after logging on I got the normal Ubuntu brown screen with this;
Screen shot 2011-04-27 at 21.18.49.png
Screen shot 2011-04-27 at 21.18.49.png (30.94 KiB) Viewed 13661 times
Earlier on, I successfully got Unity running on the same setup ... well, it wasn't pretty, but it at least ran. Also, I noticed when I go into Gnome fallback mode (the normal Gnome desktop), and check the 'about gnome' box, it's running Gnome v2.32.1 - I'd have thought it would have said 'Gnome 3.0' or something.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

didierg wrote:At this time the fisrt problem to fix is not a problem with Fedora 15 Alpha, Beta, GA, ..... but a problem between version of Xorg provided with Fedora and VirtualBox vboxvideo_drv.so :
That looks to me like our installer selected the wrong driver. If you take a look at /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ (correct that path if necessary) you will see that vboxvideo_drv.so is a symlink to what is supposed to be the right driver version. Could you try correcting that symlink to see if that solves the problem?