Unity crashes under 4.06

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
bntser
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Linux(multiple), ReactOS

Unity crashes under 4.06

Post by bntser »

I just upgraded to Virtualbox 4.0.6 (not ose) and Ubuntu 11.04 beta 2 (for the guest) after reading this post on omgubuntu:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/head ... irtualbox/

For me, though, it crashes when I try to use it. I'm not really sure what is wrong. It works OK with gnome and compiz. I've given it the max video memory, 2 of my processors, and 2GB of ram. I've tried the ose-guest-utils, and the built-in guest drivers, but neither worked. It just logs in to a Unity session, thinks for about a minute, then the window closes. Is there an error log somewhere so I can diagnose it?

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 x64 on a i5 PC with 8GB ram for the host, if that makes any difference. And the live CD runs great on my computer.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unity crashes under 4.06

Post by Perryg »

Unity works fine with VirtualBox Version 4.0.6. You state that you are not using the OSE version but you are installing ose-guest-utils. This is a known issue as mixing the release version of VirtualBox and the repo version of GAs often cause problems. You need to pick one and use it. If you want to use the release version from VirtualBox then install the guest additions from VirtualBox and if you want to use the Repo version install the Repo version of the GAs. Keep in mind that the Repo version is supported by the Repo and only basic support can be provided here.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Perryg wrote:Unity works fine with VirtualBox Version 4.0.6. You state that you are not using the OSE version but you are installing ose-guest-utils. This is a known issue as mixing the release version of VirtualBox and the repo version of GAs often cause problems. You need to pick one and use it. If you want to use the release version from VirtualBox then install the guest additions from VirtualBox and if you want to use the Repo version install the Repo version of the GAs. Keep in mind that the Repo version is supported by the Repo and only basic support can be provided here.
Perry, I'm not sure what you mean by "it works fine". I installed the daily build of Ubuntu 11.04 from 4/23 as a guest in VB 4.0.6 and Installed the release version of the GA's. If I log into "Classic or Classic (no effects)" a few seconds after the desktop loads it switches to the generic root theme. If I log into Unity, first it draws a garbled top panel and then switches to white with no icons. The left panel does draw but when I mouse over any of the icons it just draws garbage where the text should be. I am running on a Mac host running OSX 10.6.7. Is it possible the Mac version of VB just doesn't work correctly with Ubuntu 11.04? And should I post this over in the Mac hosts section?

thanks
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Well I guess it could be a MAC thing but the new xrog is what was keeping the Unity desktop from working and that has been included in VBox. I have been messing with it for weeks and have only had one crash, but it was because I was trying to add some of the Gnome features to the Unity desktop. See screen shot below.
Ubuntu-11.04-custom2.png
Ubuntu-11.04-custom2.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 6038 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Perryg wrote:Well I guess it could be a MAC thing but the new xrog is what was keeping the Unity desktop from working and that has been included in VBox. I have been messing with it for weeks and have only had one crash, but it was because I was trying to add some of the Gnome features to the Unity desktop. See screen shot below.
Ubuntu-11.04-custom2.png
hmmm, well, I don't know why I never thought of it before but we do have a Windows based laptop here. I think I will install VB on that and see if I can get it to work on that. We'll see.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

well, with some effort I managed to install Ubuntu 11.04 on a Vista laptop. It only has 1GB or ram so I could only make a 384mb VM. That's too small to run Unity. However, running Ubuntu classic with no effects worked and unlike my iMac, the theme didn't switch from Ambiance to a generic root theme after a few seconds. It seems it is either an iMac issue or a my iMac issue. It does have an older ATI radeon 1600 chipset so maybe I should count myself lucky other guests run fine with Compiz etc.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

okay here is the problem I'm having...

as you can see nautilus won't draw anything but the root theme no matter which theme I choose.
mjf777
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, OpenSUSE

Post by mjf777 »

I can't seem to get 11.04 working in virtualbox 4.0.6. I tried updating 10.10 and it hung 99% through and couldn't get it boot. Scrapped it. Installed 11.04 32 bit fresh. Booted w/ an error that unity wouldn't work w/ hardware. Installed the guest additions and now it crashes VB on boot up. The settings were set to 64M

I'm wondering if I should wait until the bugs get worked out -- or if there's an alternative version of guest additions.

Also I'm wondering if I'd have better luck with the 64 bit version of Ubuntu.

I'm using windows 7 64 bit on a dell i5. Plenty of speed and memory.

Thanks for any assistance.