Bridge Adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jrezuke
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: windows server 2008R2

Bridge Adapter

Post by jrezuke »

Hi,
I am tyring to use the bridged adapter however the only choice that shows up in the name drop down is 'Not Selected'. I have done some searching and tried some suggestions like repairing the vb install and even uninstalling and reinstalling vb. I have the latest drivers for my network card. My host is windows 7 64 bit and my guest is windows server 2008R2 64 bit. Does anyone have any answers for this one?
Thanks,
Joe
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Bridge Adapter

Post by Sasquatch »

Did you change the components to be installed? It sounds like the bridged network filter wasn't installed. You can verify that by opening Network and Sharing Center, click on the LAN connection and then press Properties. The VB Bridged Host Adapter should be there. If it isn't, you can try to add a new adapter and pick the VB one. If it is there, make sure it's enabled. Another problem can be caused by security software that hooks up on the LAN adapter as well and prevents VB from hooking on it.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Kevin6969
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp

Post by Kevin6969 »

I have discovered that I do not have Virtual box bridged networking driver installed. I have re-installed VirtualBox (V4.1.2) a few times but it does not appear.
Is there any way I can do this manually?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Install with full administrator rights, not with similar accounts and accept all the dialog boxes.
Kevin6969

Post by Kevin6969 »

Thanks for the reply.
I am the only user on the PC and have full administrator rights.
I have installed the same VBOX application on 2 other PC's and the bridging worked fine.
Any other thoughts?
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Did you get the same amount of dialog boxes? anything running that could have blocked some parts of the install such as a third party firewall?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Try this. Locate vboxnetflt.inf in your virtualbox directory and right click on it then tell it to install.
I have seen this a few times and it fixed the issue. Only other way is to uninstall VirtualBox and delete the cache in Windows before you install again. Since this worked I don't remember the cache that you need to delete though.

You will need to reboot for this to take effect.
Kevin6969

Post by Kevin6969 »

Thanks again for the replys but unfortunately still no joy.
vbox4me2
I did have the same dialog boxes as when I first tried to installed. I made sure the bridging function was selected whe installing. I havent got any firewall running that would block the install just the windows one, which I had running on my successfull attemps of the installation.

perryg
I just tried what you suggested but got the Install error "The INF file selected does not support this method of installation"

Any more ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Sorry. It used to work but I guess they changed the way it is installed now. I will try to locate the ticket that explains how to remove the cache to force the install as a fresh install to get back all the missing drivers.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

See Chapter 12.5.5 Bridged networking adapters missing in your VirtualBox users manual.
Kevin6969

Post by Kevin6969 »

Thank you very much Perryg, its working.

I tried deleting the INFCACHE.1 first. this didnt work so I tried increasing the filter number to 14 as well as deleting the INFCACHE.1 then it worked.
Im very happy.

Thank you verty much.

below is the manual details for anyone else reading this:

If no bridged adapters show up in the “Networking” section of the VM settings, this typically
means that the bridged networking driver was not installed properly on your host. This could be
due to the following reasons:
The maximum allowed filter count was reached on the host. In this case, the MSI log would
mention the 0x8004a029 error code returned on NetFlt network component install:
VBoxNetCfgWinInstallComponent: Install failed, hr (0x8004a029)
You can try to increase the maximum filter count in the Windows registry at the following
key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters
The maximum number allowed is 14. After a reboot, try to re-install VirtualBox.
The INF cache is corrupt. In this case, the install log (%windir%\inf\setupapi.log
on XP or %windir%\inf\setupapi.dev.log on Vista or later) would typically mention
the failure to find a suitable driver package for either the sun_VBoxNetFlt or
sun_VBoxNetFltmp components. The solution then is to uninstall VirtualBox, remove the
INF cache (%windir%\inf\INFCACHE.1), reboot and try to re-install VirtualBox