Inaccessible ('Nicht zugreifbar') / 0x80BB0001

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
berndleutenecker
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 (x64) / Ubuntu

Inaccessible ('Nicht zugreifbar') / 0x80BB0001

Post by berndleutenecker »

Hello!

Some days ago I tried to install the IE 9-RC on my Win7 Professional x64 VM (host: Win7 Ultimate x64).
As this failed twice I decided after shutting down the vm to return to a previous snapshot. I didn't notice
anything unusual. But when starting Virtual Box (4.0.4) the next day there is only a symbol and the text
'Nicht zugreifbar' (German for 'inaccessible'). I opened the manager for virtual media (translated from
the German name of it). I can't tell exactly what messages I found there as I already tried to fix the
problem - without success ... But a file was missing and I could'nt find it either.

I opened the VirtualBox.xml-file and tried to fix the problem there, making a comment out of that
part at the end containing the information about the missing file:
(quote)
<HardDisk uuid="{b824fe0c-d8f9-459c-8f10-c389610a8533}" location="F:/VirtualBox/Machines/w7pro_x64_o2010_x86/Snapshots/{b824fe0c-d8f9-459c-8f10-c389610a8533}.vmdk" format="VMDK">
<HardDisk uuid="{aaee46ce-5547-435e-8919-6c050eed8059}" location="F:/VirtualBox/Machines/w7pro_x64_o2010_x86/Snapshots/{aaee46ce-5547-435e-8919-6c050eed8059}.vmdk" format="VMDK">
<!--<HardDisk uuid="{750453aa-10f5-48f5-ac28-3e778cd3d337}" location="F:/VirtualBox/Machines/w7pro_x64_o2010_x86/Snapshots/{750453aa-10f5-48f5-ac28-3e778cd3d337}.vmdk" format="VMDK" xmlns="http://www.innotek.de/VirtualBox-settings" />
-->
(unquote)

But now I just receive another error:
(Translated from german:)
The selected virtual machine is inaccessible. Please consider the error-message
shown below and press the Refresh-Button if you want to repeat the test:
Below that german text follows more information partly in english:
Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {cfc2ef54-69a3-4229-ad12-2c96f2aebab0}.
Errorcode: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Component / Module: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {d2de270c-1d4b-4c9e-843f-bbb9b47269ff}

When I press the Refresh-Button VirtualBox hangs and the process has to
be killed.

How can I return to a previous state of my vm?
I have attached the Xml-file, the most recent Log-file I could find and a
hardcopy of the contents of the VirtualMediaManager.

Thank you!

Bernd Leutenecker
Attachments
The Vdi- and the Vmdk-Files are all 'not attached'.
The Vdi- and the Vmdk-Files are all 'not attached'.
VirtualMediaManager.jpg (107.3 KiB) Viewed 12120 times
VBox.log
(68.76 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
VirtualBox.xml
(9.43 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Inaccessible ('Nicht zugreifbar') / 0x80BB0001

Post by mpack »

Please post your "<VMname>.vbox" file as well please, as an attachment.

Someone else has reported a similar problem... and I'm beginning to get an inkling as to a possible connection...

I see from your VirtualBox.xml that you have a legacy hard disk registry in there, presumably inherited from v3, and which the VM in question uses. The hard disk with UUID {cfc...} is not listed there. I suspect that since installing v4 you have created and then deleted the snapshot you talked about. I don't use snapshots, but I'm wondering if... the new snapshot entry gets created in the local media registry of the ".vbox" file, and it's the splitting of the VDI list across new style and old style registries, possibly compounded by deleting the snapshot and hence going back to the old style registry, which is confusing VBox?

The devteam tried to ensure that they did nothing to your xmls that would prevent you reverting to v3 if you wanted to. Perhaps they made life too complicated for themselves.
berndleutenecker

Hello!

The Vbox-File is attached with an extra suffix (.txt) as .vbox-files are not allowed to
be uploaded. Sorry - and as the file was too big, I compressed it to a Zip-file, again
with an extra .txt-suffix.

But I am using version 4.0.4 since february - and made almost every day a snapshot
the last weeks. I have deleted several snapshots in the same time - usually always
older ones. So I don't think that this a special problem of that version. But indeed
I am using VirtualBox since several years now, usually upgrading to almost every
new version.

Thank you!

Bernd Leutenecker
Attachments
w7pro_x64_o2010_x86.vbox.zip.txt
(11.88 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Wow - you made it hard for me. First renaming it as .txt after it was zipped (this site is ok with .zip attachments), and then I find that for some reason it's in a format which my old copy of WinZip doesn't like. I discovered that 7-zip handles it though.

Anyway, back to your problem, which is not what I thought it might be. There is no second media registry in the .vbox file. What there is, is a "StorageController"r section right at the end of the file, and the IDE controller within that section is configured to mount an HDD with UUID {cfc..." attached. As already mentioned, that disk does not exist, hence the error report.

Correcting the problem would involve correcting that UUID, but I'm not sure with what. I think it should be the UUID of the root hard disk (the one that would be reverted to if you discard all of the snapshosts).

As a first attempt at a workaround you could try just editing the .vbox file (make a backup first) with Notepad++, and delete the following three lines, which are lines 2249..2251. Beware, because there are several similar looking sections in earlier parts of the file, which you need to leave as-is. The edit has the effect that if you were to revert to the oldest snapshot then the drive would be detached. Still, you may be able to boot up the VM and take a disk image backup.

Code: Select all

//A snippet taken from your VM's .vbox file.
<AttachedDevice type="HardDisk" port="0" device="0">
   <Image uuid="{cfc2ef54-69a3-4229-ad12-2c96f2aebab0}"/>
</AttachedDevice>
I don't understand how this damage occurred, but looking at your OP, was the root VDI originally converted from a VMDK? (I'm wondering if your problem is a complication of a much older bug - fixed in late revs of 3.x - having to do with the parent UUID field in VDIs converted from a VMDK).
berndleutenecker

Hi again!

Sorry for the problem with the file - I used 7-zip with the best available compression.

You wrote I should delete lines 2249 to 2251 - but they contain data about a DVD-drive,
not that harddrive you wrote about and which are in lines 2246 to 2248?

In the VirtualBox.xml-file I have excluded a part as a comment as I wrote in my first
post. Maybe there is another reason for new problems as now the logical structure
of the file might be wrong: Within that comment is a closing tag (...
xmlns="http://www.innotek.de/VirtualBox-settings" />) which now is missing in
the remaining structure. Or is that no problem?

As I wrote I am using VirtualBox for many years now (before SUN bought it). Actually
I can't remember when and how I started with a Win7-VM - but I think that I started
with the VirtualBox-Tool for it, not converting a VMDK although I use VMware
Workstation at work. But I always preferred to start with a new installation if
possible so I am rather sure I didn't use a VMDK.
But in March 2010 I had some other problems (Subject 'Moved directory and edited
XML-file - but no more machines' in this board). Maybe I did something wrong
that time and was just lucky until last week ...

Thanks for your help!

Bernd Leutenecker
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

berndleutenecker wrote:You wrote I should delete lines 2249 to 2251 - but they contain data about a DVD-drive,
not that harddrive you wrote about and which are in lines 2246 to 2248?
Oops! Yes of course I meant 2246-2248. So what happened when you deleted them?
berndleutenecker wrote:In the VirtualBox.xml-file I have excluded a part as a comment as I wrote in my first
post.
I saw nothing wrong with the VirtualBox.xml (except that the drive with UUID cfc...etc was not listed). You should make no edits there. You should undo any edits you already made.
berndleutenecker

Hello again!

Yesterday I did not find the time to work on this problem - but now I'm back.
And thanks to your help, my VM is too!

I have deleted the recommended lines from the vbox-File.
As I mentioned in my original post I have made a change within the
VirtualBox.xml-File - but when I check it now I can't find the comment
any more (uups - and apparently I failed making a backup of the file
beforehand ...). Well I thought I'll give it a try in the existing version
(without that comment-part).
And it looked pretty good: I could open my snapshot-section and started
the latest (default) one. But seconds later an error-message was shown:
'FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.'

I reverted to the snapshot before (2011-04-08, actually from 2011-03-08)
and this time I could start the machine. Updates of Anti-Virus-Tools etc.
are running right now. It really looks as if I am back on track!

Thank you VERY much!

Bernd Leutenecker
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm glad you have it running again. Just please bear in mind what I said about this being a workaround, not a complete fix. If you were now to revert to the root snapshot you would see the drive suddenly disconnected from the VM. It should however be no problem to remount it.

Even so, and especially since we don't know what caused this error in the first place: I would now take an image backup of the whole drive, from inside the guest, at your earliest convenience. Acronis TrueImage is my recommended imaging tool, others may be cheaper or even free, but not easier to use. IMHO, either cloning the (merged) VDI file, or an image backup inside the guest, is a far more reliable backup tool than snapshots.
hartnegg
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu Linux

Post by hartnegg »

Same problem here since I updated to version 4
(host and guest both Windows-XP).

It always happens after restoring to a snapshot of a running machine (see below).
The main window claims it cannot find a hard disk, but a VDI-file with that UUID *is* there!
However it's a very small file, with only 44 kB size.
The manager for virtual media has a yellow exclamation mark at *another* UUID.
This one does really not exist.
But this other UUID is listed in the latest VBox.log, so it *was* there before,
probably before I restored to the previous snapshot.

The steps that lead to this bug are typically like this:
I abort a running virtual machine with Ctrl-Q and quit VirtualBox.
Then I remember that I forgot to restore to the previous shapshot,
so it can cleanly run next time I need it.
So I start virtualbox, restore the machine, then quit virtualbox.
Now when I start VirtalBox the next time, the virtual hard disk is damaged.

How can I fix the xml file?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You asked "how do I fix the xml file": the literal answer is that, having identified a problem, you edit it with Notepad++ or a similar text editor that will accept Unix type text files. I'm afraid I'm not able to diagnose specific xml problems by gazing into my crystal ball - like the OP you would need to post the xmls so I can download and read them. Post the VirtualBox.xml and <vnmame>.vbox files as attachments. I also like to have the exact error message, not paraphrasing.

Btw, the fact that a small VDI file exists in a folder is not relevant - VirtualBox complains because the VDI isn't listed in the media registry. It doesn't even look at the folder contents. The other missing VDI with the exclamation symbol is also not relevant, unless you are getting an error message about that one too.
tikitu
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu server

Post by tikitu »

I'm getting what seems to be the same problem (since upgrading to Debian's 4.0.4), and my setup is different enough that it might help you pinpoint the issue: my host is Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit, and my harddisks are in vmdk format.

One slight complication: I hand-edited the machine's xml file for a similar problem yesterday, so it may not be completely representative. (Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what yesterday's error was. It was different: the snapshots for the machine were still available in the gui (whereas today they aren't), so I was able to take the snapshot uuid the gui showed and use it to replace the uuid it couldn't find in the machine's xml file. Of course possibly that's the cause of today's error... after successful startup yesterday I shut the machine down and reverted to the latest snapshot without apparent problems.)

Here's today's error:

Could not find an open hard disk with UUID {2ad4d1b3-36e4-45e3-9b87-1526f6482717}.
Result Code: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: IVirtualBox {d2de270c-1d4b-4c9e-843f-bbb9b47269ff}

Attached are VirtualBox.xml and BasicUbuntuInstall.xml (I don't have a .vbox file for the machine, presume this is the equivalent).
Attachments
BasicUbuntuInstall.xml
I.e. <machine-name>.xml
(34.25 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
VirtualBox.xml
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It seems that I've undertaken to provide an unpaid general xml repair service, which was not my intention. Nor do I particularly want to give encouragement to people who chose to ignore my frequent advice concerning the obvious unreliability of snapshots.

It should be easy enough to fix the thing yourself, especially given the conversation documented in this thread. The problem is obvious: VBox says that a hard disk with UUID {xyz} does not exist in the media registry. It can only produce such a specific error message if something in your settings xml (.vbox file) is referencing that UUID. So, find where that reference is, and then either remove or correct it. This thread already has all of the necessary details.

Make backups of any file you intend to modify, before you start.
tikitu

Post by tikitu »

@mpack: I had the impression that you were also interested in finding out what is causing these problems, and had hoped that my details might help with that. As this seems not to be the case, my apologies for the misunderstanding.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

tikitu wrote:@mpack: I had the impression that you were also interested in finding out what is causing these problems, and had hoped that my details might help with that. As this seems not to be the case, my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Back at the start of this thread, that might have been true. However that was two weeks ago, and by now I'm satisfied that I do know the general scope of these problems: it seems to happen when a snapshot is deleted - the associated media gets removed from the registry, but for some reason does not always get removed from the "AttachedDevice" section of the .vbox file. There seems to be an associated corruption of the current state that I don't quite understand.
tikitu

Post by tikitu »

In that case it seems likely that my problem is unrelated, since I haven't deleted any snapshots in quite some time. Thanks for the info (good to have it in the thread also, since googling the error got me here). I'll see if I can muddle through patching the xml.