Problem Installing Umbutu Desktop ~ Screen Resolution?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
RRnTexas

Problem Installing Umbutu Desktop ~ Screen Resolution?

Post by RRnTexas »

Using Win XP Pro as host.

Have downloaded ISO image of Umbutu Desktop 7.10.

I have mounted image file as CD.

When I click start, VirtualBox boots up the ISO and successfully installs Umbutu as a live session user. When I then go to install Umbutu on virtual machine, I get stuck because the Umbutu screen is not large enough for me to navigate the installation dialog boxes and there is no scroll bars to allow me to scroll down to navigate the dialog boxes.

I have tried several iterations of changing the screen resolutions in Umbutu and I have tried changing screen resolutions on host computer to no avail ...

What do I need to do to make the screen large enough that I can see complete dialog box and install Umbutu?

Thanks in advance for your help ...

RR
Phobos
Volunteer

Post by Phobos »

so, umbutu?... check this link: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/speci ... mbutu.html

now, you can move windows in ubuntu by pressing and holding the Alt button and left clicking it with the mouse

you should be able to change the VM resolution to a bigger one.. I don't know why it doesn't work for you...
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

This is happening to me to. It is making Ubuntu very difficult to install.

I am using Vista and trying to install Ubuntu 7.10. The screen resolution options available are only 800 x 600 and 640 x 480.

PITA! I am very new to Virtual Box and Ubuntu to.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

I thought I figured it out by hitting F4 on the install and selecting 1024x768 32 bit but when it loads it shrinks it back to 800x600. The memtest also is giving me a system memory low error message. Am I not supposed to max out my system memory for my VM?
M4rotku

Post by M4rotku »

I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 7.10. It's very annoying and I really need to fix it or get a new virtualization.
gpilkay

Post by gpilkay »

Here's the easy way:

When you've got the live-CD/iso booted up:

Go to the bottom toolbar, right click, go to 'Properties'

Check 'show hide buttons'

Do the same for the top.

Now you can 'hide' the toolbars, keeping them from blocking the buttons.

After install:

Install guest additions. Reboot. Then-

Go to system-administration-screens and graphics

Select the model and closest resolution for your screen available. You will probably not have the right resolution right away.

Then edit xconf (better instructions then what I'm able to give are available at ubuntuforums.org) .

I did this on my dell laptop, and now I have full-screen Ubuntu when I cntrl-F. Works great! Took me several tries to do it, though, which is why I'm posting this, hoping to make life easier for the next go-around.

Also, you don't want to max out your system memory with the VM. You have to have enough memory for BOTH OS's to run at the same time. One of the reasons I have two gig, for Ubuntu I give it 900 mg memory, with 10 meg for video. This is useless for games but does all my text stuff and internet just fine.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

gpilkay wrote:Here's the easy way:

When you've got the live-CD/iso booted up:

Go to the bottom toolbar, right click, go to 'Properties'

Check 'show hide buttons'

Do the same for the top.

Now you can 'hide' the toolbars, keeping them from blocking the buttons.

After install:

Install guest additions. Reboot. Then-

Go to system-administration-screens and graphics

Select the model and closest resolution for your screen available. You will probably not have the right resolution right away.

Then edit xconf (better instructions then what I'm able to give are available at ubuntuforums.org) .

I did this on my dell laptop, and now I have full-screen Ubuntu when I cntrl-F. Works great! Took me several tries to do it, though, which is why I'm posting this, hoping to make life easier for the next go-around.

Also, you don't want to max out your system memory with the VM. You have to have enough memory for BOTH OS's to run at the same time. One of the reasons I have two gig, for Ubuntu I give it 900 mg memory, with 10 meg for video. This is useless for games but does all my text stuff and internet just fine.
Thanks for your reply. I cant even see the toolbars anymore. Which is weird because I could see them before. Anyways, my screen looked liked the desired outcome that you described.

This sure beats dual booting i will say that much!!
M4rotku

Post by M4rotku »

Can you give me the navigation to the exact thread on the ubuntu forums. I'm looking for it and can't find it. Thanks
gpilkay

Post by gpilkay »

Well, the most useful threads I know of are here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=620828

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php? ... pic&t=6438

As I said, I'm no Linux expert, it took me a few tries to get it right. For anything involving linux, google is your new best freind!

The key was, once I got the default display size listed in the screens and graphics section, to just put my own resolution in xconf in the same format as the rest (mine came out as something like "1280x00@60" or the like, you'll see what I mean when you'r ein xconf), without messing with the rest of the file.

This took me three tries to get right, and I couldn't tell you what I did exactly, sorry. But this thread helped.

If you can't see the toolbars at all after installation, you likely have the screen set TOO big. move the mouse up or down and hold it and you'll probably see the screen begin to scroll. This means you have your virtual display too large for your monitor. Just go a size down till you can sort it out.
balma01

Post by balma01 »

This is the best way:
click on SYSTEM/ADMINISTRATION/SCREENS AND GRAPHICS
and select:
MODEL: LCD PANEL 1024X1068
RESOLUTION: 1024X1068
click OK.
Logoff and Logon.
Now You will see all the screen you need to install Ubuntu 7.10.
kenpem

Post by kenpem »

I'm still having trouble. Got thru the install OK (just hit ENTER at every screen LOL), but now when running, can't get anything bigger than 800x600, everything else either tells me it doesn't work or gives me a wonky screen. When the VB machine starts it's a dinky little window..... how can I tell the VM that there is more real-estate than that?
kenpem

Post by kenpem »

anybody?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Installed the GA? If so, edit your xorg.conf file, and add the vboxvideo driver to it. There are plenty of topic here about this.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.