change the location of .virtualbox folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
zoub09

change the location of .virtualbox folder

Post by zoub09 »

Hi
I want to know if it's possible to change the location of the .virtualbox folder
Actually is in "C:\Documents and Settings\myprofile"
I want to put it in "C:\Documents and Settings\myprofile\Application Data"

Why ?
because i have created a VM on my profile and i want that other users can use this VM with the same parameters

Thank's for the answer
larryr
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP 7 8.1 Suse Fedora Centos

Re: change the location of .virtualbox folder

Post by larryr »

If you want other users to be able to use it you need to add the global system environment variable

VBOX_USER_HOME=C:\VBOX (or where everyone can get to it, Document and Setting\myprofile should not be accessible by anyone else.)

You make a global system environment variable by doing a right click on My Computer and select Properties - then select the Advanced tab - then the Environment button near the bottom then the new button under Systems Variables the variable name is VBOX_USER_HOME and the variable value is the path like C:\VBOX.

copy the .virtualbox contents from you myprofile to the C:\VBOX (or what you called it) and reboot and everyone can see the Virtual Machines. At that point you can remove the contents of your myprofile\.virtualbox directory ( I left it incase some Vbox upgrade needs it).
zoub09

Re: change the location of .virtualbox folder

Post by zoub09 »

thank's larryr
I'll try your solution