VBoxManage.exe modifyhd returns ERROR on Win7 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
gthaker

VBoxManage.exe modifyhd returns ERROR on Win7 Host

Post by gthaker »

I am trying to increase size of my Fedora 14 guest disk. I wish to add 3Gb to the disk (3000 Mbytes). I use the command below, but it returns an error even though it say in the manual:

"This currently works only for the VDI and VHD formats, and only for the dynamically expanding variants." and I believe i do qualify as I have dynamically expanding variant of format "VDI".

Any hints welcome.

Jupiter> VBoxManage.exe modifyhd FC14.vdi --resize 3000
0%...
Progress state: VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED
VBoxManage.exe: error: Resize hard disk operation for this format is not implemented yet!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBoxManage.exe modifyhd returns ERROR on Win7 Host

Post by mpack »

I believe the argument for --resize is the new size of the disk. So, if you wish to add 3000MB then you need more than 3000 on the command line. Otherwise you are probably attempting to shrink the drive, which (thankfully for you) VBoxManage does not allow.
gthaker

Post by gthaker »

Thank you very much - that was it. The description was a bit ambiguous (at least to me). Now what I am trying to figure out is how to increase the volume groups that this disk belongs to. May be it will auto extend.

Gautam
gthaker

Post by gthaker »

Summary:

as previously reported, --resize <arg> is the new total size, not the delta. Once this was done my .vdi disk expanded its logical size.
Next I had to use

fdisk /dev/sdb

to create /dev/sdb3 in the new empty space.

after this portprobe command reads in new partition table.

after that system-config-lvm permitted easy extension of the volume by adding /dev/sdb3 to it.