Value of the Mac Address field on the network page...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pgodfrin
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: server 2008

Value of the Mac Address field on the network page...

Post by pgodfrin »

...is not complete.

This has appeared after upgrading from 3.2 to 4.0. None of my VM's have a functioning network. I have tried updating the driver for 'Virtualbox Host-only ethernet adapter" on the Device Manager and also, deleting and re-installing it. My VirtualBox installation is 'bricked'.

Any suggestions?

regards,
phil g
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Value of the Mac Address field on the network page...

Post by mpack »

Please provide complete information when reporting a problem. If the MAC address has been corrupted then please show us how. Also tell us what you are attempting to do, so we can judge if what you already tried is appropriate. For example, are you trying to recover internet access, or do you really only want a connection to the host? (host only).
pgodfrin

Post by pgodfrin »

I have a handful of Windows Server 2008 64 bit guests. After upgrading from 3 to 4, when I select the settings, a brief message in red is displayed:

Code: Select all

Value of the Mac Address field on the network page is not complete
When I go to the network page, there is a mac address there and I can regenerate it, but I have no network connectivity.
pgodfrin

Post by pgodfrin »

OK - so - here's the scoop. FreeNAS and Windows VMs are indeed working despite the error message flashing on the screen. However, XenServer is not working, where it did before I upgraded.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

pgodfrin wrote:a brief message in red is displayed
Do you really mean that the message text is short, or are you saying that it's only displayed briefly? If the latter then that possibly implies a cosmetic timing problem between threads.

Also, for host OS your profile only says "MS Windows 7". Is it actually Win7 64 bit?

You may also care to post the .vbox file for the broken VM, as an attachment please.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Further on the above: I knew nothing about Xenserver, so I just did a web search to find out more about it... and it seems to be a virtualization platform in its own right, meaning that you can't use it inside a VirtualBox guest - regardless of whether it worked before or you only thought it did.

Perhaps someone reading this, who's more familiar with Xenserver than I am, can confirm.
pgodfrin

Post by pgodfrin »

The message is displayed in red, briefly at the bottom of the settings dialog box, when selecting "Settings", then returns to normal. Once into the Network page, you can recreate the exact same condition by blanking out the Mac address. So, I think it is reasonable to presume this is a timing issue between normal error processing and the display process - in other words, the error message displays before the gui is finished reading the xml file(s).

So, this looks like a bug. Especially since the only VM that no longer works (after the upgrade) is the XenServer guest I've created, it's probably safe to say this is pilot error and close this thread.

However, for the record, before I upgraded to 4 I was able to install XenServer under vbox and properly initialize the nic to permit me to communicate with the host. After upgrading to 4.0 the nic does not connect and the network interface simply does not work with XenServer. Which I find strange.

regards,
pg
pgodfrin

Post by pgodfrin »

I reinstalled Xenserver successfully. I suppose next time I'll backup and test better when there's an update to VirtualBox
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Just like mpack, I'm wondering why you installed Xenserver as a Guest. Nested virtualisation isn't a good idea and doesn't really work with VB. See Virtualization inside a virtualizer, discussions for more information.
Having a virtualiser as a Guest has little use if you can't start a guest in it. Waste of resources IMO.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
pgodfrin

Post by pgodfrin »

Howdy - so - a couple things... Since I'm basically testing and familiarizing myself with the various VM products, I thought it would be interesting to see what would happen if I installed Xenserver under VB. I was able to install VMWare's ESXi under their desktop "virtualizer", VM Workstation. Since Xen doesn't have a desktop "virtualizer" I thought I would try it under VB. In fact, under VB, then Xenserver, i was able to create a VM for Windows Server 2008 and install it and toodle around - so it works. But - don't sweat it - I'm just testing...

Second and more important, there is something wrong with v4 of VB in the sense that this error message pops up when opening up the settings window of any guest VM - "Value of the Mac Address field on the network page is not complete". The message is in red and is displayed only momentarily. But the only VM that stopped functioning was the Xenserver nested VM. If I could capture it and send y'all a screen print I would - but I can't. If there is a way to turn on turn on debugging or send y'all a log, please tell me.

But Xenserver worked after reinstalling. Since I'm only testing this was OK.

cheers,
pg
DasFox
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by DasFox »

I'm also getting this in 4.0.6 under Win7 x64, here's a screen shot;

I hope we can get a fix for this soon, if it's a problem...

THANKS

P.S. Filed a bug report;
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8782#preview
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

If you have what was described above, then as described above it is just a cosmetic issue, not an actual problem. It's inelegant, and I hope it gets fixed, but almost any other known bug would have priority.
war59312

Post by war59312 »

Same here, on Win7 x64 SP1.

I thought something was indeed wrong the first time.