Stand Alone Copy of SL Server Only Able To Install As Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mike-h30
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX, SLES, OpenSUSE, XP,

Post by mike-h30 »

I thought I would start another post to confirm that only stand alone copies of SL Server can be installed as guests in Virtual Box. I had another post where I was unable to get SL Server installed as a guest on my Mac Mini Server.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36709

I tested out my installation DVD on my iMac and Macbook Pro. I was not able to install SL Server on neither. I then noticed that my copy of SL Server says "Mac mini Mac OSX Server Install DVD". I then recalled that both my iMac and Macbook Pro have hardware specific installation DVD's as well, thus I would not be able to install the Macbook Pro copy of Snow Leopard client on my iMac and vice versa.

So now I am wondering if it is even possible to install a hardware specific Snow Leopard Server like my Mac Mini version in Virtual Box - even though I am installing on my Mac Mini hardware? When a VM is created in Virtual Box, there is no way to specify that the VM is configured like a Mac Mini, MBP, etc.

Has anyone been able to install a hardware specific Snow Leopard Server installation DVD as a guest or have those that installed Snow Leopard Server as guest done so only with a stand alone copy (i.e. non hardware specific installation DVD)?
mike-h30
Guest OSses: OSX, SLES, OpenSUSE, XP,

Re: Stand Alone Copy of SL Server Only Able To Install As Guest

Post by mike-h30 »

I have confirmed that yes - a retail or stand alone copy of Snow Leopard Server is required to make a VM. I purchased a retail copy of Snow Leopard Server on Ebay and was able to create a Snow Leopard Server VM without issue. The copy of Snow Leopard Server that was bundled with my Mac Mini Server would not allow me to create a VM. Apple Enterprise also confirmed that software/hardware bundled Snow Leopard Server ( like the one that shipped with my Mini Server) will only install on shipped hardware.

In summary, I am using the SL Server software bundle that shipped with my Mac Mini Server as the host OS and I am using the retail copy as my guest.

-Mike
viam
Guest OSses: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server, Ubuntu 9.4, 10.10, Kubuntu 10.10, Windows XP Pro

Post by viam »

Perhaps I'm out of line with posting in this topic (or at all), but I wanted to offer what I hope is some helpful advice on installing OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server on Mac h/w. I am able to successfully install OS X Server first time, every time, using installation DVD (OS X 10.6 SL Server Unlimited Client License) after some initial trial and errors many weeks ago. Initially, I was met with error messages related to not being able to read the mach_kernel.mkext file. I'd recalled that same error message on every attempt until, one day, I walked away for a few mins only to return to see the installation wizard waiting on me. I'd also read a post somewhere on the forum on the importance of reaching the first milestone-formatting the destination .vdi - from installation wizard, open Disk Utility and create a single partition which you must format using OS X Extended Journaled-just like normal Mac install operations).

Actually, I consider the first milestone in this area as not being able to read the mach_kernel.mkext file. The second milestone is getting to the wizard which WILL appear given a few minutes of the load process running the series of dots line by line across the screen seemingly with no end. Again, the first milestone is waiting long enough for the installation wizard to start; the second milestone is formatting the .vdi file, otherwise there will be no HDD shown in the Destination window of the wizard).

So, if patient, the routine will eventually run those dots across for 5-10 mins and then the installation process will begin. Like myself, I believe most people abort the installation after the ".mkext" error message and try again changing settings here and there hoping for a solution. All that's required is to follow these steps, but it has to be on a Mac...any Mac-Intel will do (I've been successful on multiple MBPs and Mac Mini).

1. Create "New" VM naming it anything that derives the proper Mac OS X .vdi
2. Raise video settings from 5 to 12-24
3. Downgrade boot hardware item "Floppy" using arrows
4. Storage-IDE Controller IDE Primary Master (CD/DVD); Host Drive 'MATSHITA DVD-R....etc. with installation disk loaded in machine
5. SATA Controller SATA Port 0 MacOSXSnowLeopardServer.vdi (I used 20GB)

Once the install wizard starts, treat it just like any other installation on a Mac. Open Disk Utility, highlight the .vdi file, format using single partition, OSX extended journaled, close Disk Utility, and away you go.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike
macmedix
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: OSX, 6 kinds of Linux, Win98, WinXP &Win 7x32

Post by macmedix »

Wow! Awesome! Thanks Mike & Mike for the very helpful info!!!
With help from the 2 of you here and another thread, I've got Snow Leopard Server installing now as guest os on intel Mac hardware with a Mac OS X host (10.5.8 Leopard).

I had the problem where the install process seems to not be working.
Uncharacteristically, I was giving up too easily at the Read Error "Could not open file mach_kernel.mkext".

Yes, indeed patience prevails! After about 5 minutes of watching what appeared to be a failed install draw dots on the screen endlessly ........... the verbose text install process sprung to life & the install really got underway after that.

Then I did use Disk Utility to format the Virtual HD as I would normally with Mac OS X on a new formatted hd. (GUID partition table, 1 partition, Mac OS extended, journaled).

But amazingly, the really key advice was to be patient for at least 5 minutes after seeing a major read error in the pre-install process. I knew this install DVD was good, as I could easily boot the same Mac with it.

This is the Retail version of Snow Leopard Server dvd being installed onto intel Mac Hardware.

Remember to eject the DVD disk! Or the new VM will only want to boot from the DVD. Even if you set the start up disk in the Utilities menu!

Ok, it's working. It's actually working! :-D