screen resolution

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Bucky

screen resolution

Post by Bucky »

I'm watching youtube video on Fedora 7 vdi image. Cool.

I can't get anything better than a window of 800x600. Do we need a guest addition for this?

Speaking of guest additions,
I added VBoxGuestAdditions_1.5.4.iso to a session, but there is no confirmation window, how do I know it's applied?

Do you have to mount the guest additions every time you boot the image?

thanks
David McKenna

Post by David McKenna »

You need to add the guest additions to get better video res I believe. I used the 1.5.6 version, then had to edit xorg.conf to add res higher than 1024x768. If you have pointer integration working, then the additions should be installed. No need to keep the CD mounted...
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

By pointer, you mean mouse? I have mouse but it is jerky.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

It was not clear from the manual, but after some digging, it appears there is an installation program to run from the guestadditions iso.
When I run this install, it says I need to install build & header files as well as gnu compiler. I'm trying to find an rpm package to install these but having difficulty. Am I on the right track?
David McKenna

Post by David McKenna »

Yes... you need to install the kernel building stuff. Not sure where to locate it... I installed it when I installed the OS.

Pointer = mouse cursor.... if the pointer is not captured by virtualbox but is usable in the virtualbox window, then the additions are installed.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

Sweet! The linux package installer helped me the stuff easily.
As soon as I installed the guestadditions, the size of my vbox window jumped to 1024 x 768
Mouse is still kinda jerky though