Virtualbox 4.0.2 turns on my webcam

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Victek
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro SP3

Virtualbox 4.0.2 turns on my webcam

Post by Victek »

My host OS is Windows 7 x64. I recently installed a webcam and when I started my Windows XP VM the webcam turned on. It wasn't installed in the Guest OS and it isn't listed in the XP Device Manager. I don't care to use it in the VM and I would like to turn it off. I'd appreciate any suggestions about this. TIA
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Virtualbox 4.0.2 turns on my webcam

Post by Perryg »

Is there a filter set for it in the USB section of the guest settings? If so delete it.
Victek
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro SP3

Post by Victek »

Actually there wasn't a filter set for it. I went ahead and added a filter and that caused the webcam to turn off when I started the XP VM. I don't quite understand what's going on yet, but this is the result I wanted. I'll keep using it and see if it's consistent. Can you explain this?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It may be some of the new code in VirtualBox. ICH9 chipset instead of PIIX3 only and MSI IIRC.
HolisticDeveloper
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by HolisticDeveloper »

I have been noticing this behavior as well. I'm also running on Windows 7 x64, now with VirtualBox 4.0.6.

I did try creating a USB filter, which does turn off the "hey I'm watching you" light on my camera, but still leaves the camera connected to my VM (it shows in the guest's Windows Device Manager).
FrankieA

Post by FrankieA »

HolisticDeveloper wrote:I have been noticing this behavior as well. I'm also running on Windows 7 x64, now with VirtualBox 4.0.6.

I did try creating a USB filter, which does turn off the "hey I'm watching you" light on my camera, but still leaves the camera connected to my VM (it shows in the guest's Windows Device Manager).
Could you provide a little more detail on how you did this? I tried creating a filter for my webcam, but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks!
ColdCold

Post by ColdCold »

I'm experiencing the same problem using VirtualBox 4.1.18. I have a Microsoft LifeCam camera, both host and guest are running Win7 x64. I cannot seem to find any settings in VirtualBox that disables the camera. even if there is nothing to worry about, it still feels like I am being spied on! anyone have any answers? Oracle engineers? This issue goes back at least as far back as Jan 2011. someone please help!