Dedicated Network Adapters

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
atmurphy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Lots.

Dedicated Network Adapters

Post by atmurphy »

I have a Windows 7 host. I have a ClearOS (Linux) guest running as a router. I have three physical network cards in the machine. I want them to operate as follows:

- WAN for Virtual Machine
- LAN for Virtual Machine
- LAN for Host

I DO NOT want the host to use the direct internet connection, but I can't seem to stop it from doing so without also stopping the virtual router from using it. Any thoughts?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Dedicated Network Adapters

Post by BillG »

From the host OS, go to the properties of the NIC. Clear all of the checkboxes except VirtualBox Bridged Networking Deiver. Only the vm will then be able to use the NIC.
Bill
poisonborz
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by poisonborz »

Hola, I've just did this, and the guest os (WinXP) displayed 'limited or no connection', and no net until I've also checked TCP/IP4... What could be the problem?
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

The vm will look just like any other machine on the LAN to the networking software. Do you have a DHCP server on your network? The vm should get its network config from there. If it doesn't you will need to configure it manually, just as you would for a physical machine on the LAN.
You are not using any of the VirtualBox networking software (except the filter driver which allows to vm to use the physical NIC).
Bill
poisonborz
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by poisonborz »

If there is an easy way, I'd rather use a setting in the host OS (win7)/virtualbox.
Is there such a method? (to disable a given network connection for the host os (win7) and dedicate it to virtualbox?)
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

I don't understand the question. What we are discussing is done in the host OS. The settings we are discussing are in the NIC properties of the host as seen from the host OS.
Bill