Discuss: Mac OS X guest sound support driver

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
nike
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OS/2 1.2, Windows 3.11, OSX

Re: Discuss: Mac OS X guest sound support driver

Post by nike »

Feel free to try 4.0 beta with HDA emulation. We find audio mostly working in this config.
elkay
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: OS X

Post by elkay »

What did you do to get HDA emulation working? I tried VooDooHDA with the Intel HD Audio setting and couldn't get any sound. Couldn't get any sound simply removing the AC97 kext or trying to use it, either.
nike
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
Guest OSses: OS/2 1.2, Windows 3.11, OSX

Post by nike »

Standard OSX HDA driver known to work (only with ICH9 chipset).
elkay

Post by elkay »

I had to start over from scratch to get it working. Starting a new Snow Leopard install, I was able to get the sound working natively without changing anything. I kept the old disk image and tried for another 5-6 hours to get the HDA sound working on that image and never got it to work. I even tried copying all the kexts from the new working install over to the old install and that didn't even fix the problem. Everything else still worked, just sound was disabled with no sound device detected. I'm really not sure what was different to flat out disallow the HDA sound from working on that install because about the only thing I changed was installing the AC97 kext. Doesn't really matter now though I guess, since I'm working off the new install now anyway.

EDIT: When I said "copied" the kexts over, I meant I completely replaced the Extensions directory with the new Extensions directory, and yes I did a -f at boot to force the kext cache to be rebuilt. It definitely wasn't a kext issue.
rkleemann

Post by rkleemann »

Hi,

I'm running VB 3.2.12 on Windows 7 and installed SL 10.6.3 on a Dell Vostro v13 laptop.

Sorry I'm a newbie at this, I was reading through this thread but wasn't sure what to try.

I installed the audio driver, and the system shows the speaker icon, the sound preferences do show the AC97 Audio (PCM) but I'm not getting any sound from the speakers.

Any pointers on what I could do? I've tried reinstalling the drivers, but no luck. Where can I look for errors?

Would upgrading to VB 4.0 be of any help?

thanks
Ricardo
elkay

Post by elkay »

VB 4 the sound just works. You don't need to install any Kexts to get it working. I wasn't able to upgrade to 4 and just use the support, though. I had to start a fresh VM.
rkleemann

Post by rkleemann »

elkay wrote:VB 4 the sound just works. You don't need to install any Kexts to get it working. I wasn't able to upgrade to 4 and just use the support, though. I had to start a fresh VM.
Thanks!

Is there a tutorial for installing OSX on VB 4.0.2 (different than for 3.2.x)? I am going to reinstall on 4.0.2.

I did run the previously installed OSX on 4.0.2 and noticed that 4.0.2 certainly feels snappier.

Ricardo
kebabbert
Volunteer
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, RedHat, Ubuntu

Post by kebabbert »

I installed Snow Leopard using the iso image from HAZARD, it worked fine. Hos os is Solaris 11 Express, and VB version is 4.0.4. But sound doesnt work. I installed the driver which you linked to, and sound is very garbled and stutters very much.

Any ideas?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Yes. Dont post here. Your configuration is not legal, i dont think hazard is an official apple dealer.
luizluca

Post by luizluca »

HDA sound works but it still looses some samples. However, if I constantly move my mouse over the screen, the sound plays OK. Is it related to some power saving feature?
Davy Bartoloni
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: ReactOS

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

elkay wrote:I had to start over from scratch to get it working. Starting a new Snow Leopard install, I was able to get the sound working natively without changing anything.
Well, no one knows what MacOS do during install process?
reinstalling a Server because audio driver cant' switched from ac97 to HD? really?
 Edit:  Ok... just remove unwanted kexts (ac97 and eventually all added experimental-HDkexts), then delete the "Extensions.mkext" ... reboot and finally the HD audio works. :)
P.S. Don't delete the HD audio APPLE native kext! 
Yffffonz
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: XP, OSX

Post by Yffffonz »

confirmed sound just works with reinstall into VB 4+ (4.0.6)
tatose
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, OS X, Solaris 11, Windows XP, Windows 2008R2, Windows 7

Post by tatose »

Very interesting, didn't know Intel HDA was supported in VB 4+.

Just installed Google Chrome on SL Server guest, tried playing youtube.

Sounds work, Videos don't. Does this have to do with hardware acceleration issues?

If so, should I download the flash "runtime" and config from there (since I can't get to hardware acceleration config dialog from Chrome in the first place)
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Flash will solve video problem.
Bazon
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Mac OSX

Post by Bazon »

I struggled to get acceptable sound with Ubuntu Linux as host, but now I found out something essential:
CPU frequency scaling causes lot's of sound problems for me. Setting CPU frequency constant to max (e.g. with indicator-cpufreq) made sound a lot better, but still not perfect. Some stuttering stays still unfortunately.
(Host-Audio: PulseAudio; Guest-Audio: Intel HD Audio, default driver in OSX, displayed output="headphones")

Someone has an idea to make it even better / someone managed it with Ubuntu as Host?