Transfer Files between Win7 host and OSX guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
BDunham
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mac OS 10.6.2

Transfer Files between Win7 host and OSX guest

Post by BDunham »

I'm trying to transfer files between my Win7 host and OSX guest. I initially tried to setup a shared folder, but to no avail as this requires guest additions and this is apparently not supported for OSX (Just for giggles I tried running the Linux package from terminal w/ sudo su and this didn't work either - gave me "unable to determine version of Linux")

So I guess my question would be: has anyone came up with a solution for transferring files from their host to a OSX guest in vBox???
BDunham
Guest OSses: Mac OS 10.6.2

Re: Transfer Files between Win7 host and OSX guest

Post by BDunham »

I have solved this using the following instructions provided by paulscode in thread http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32028:
paulscode wrote:Until there is Guest Additions for Mac OS X, you can still share folders on the host with the guest via the network. It is pretty simple:

1) Share a folder from the actual host machine (from the OS itself, not through the vbox shared folders settings)
2) Use NAT for your guest's network settings
3) From Mac OS X, Open "Finder" (looks like a square face, usually on the bottom-left)
4) From the top menu, navigate to Go->Connect to Server
5) For "Server Address" enter smb://10.0.2.2
6) Click "Connect"
7) Enter your username and password (for the host machine)
8) Select the shared folder from the list

This is the method I am using in my Mac OS X guests until the new Guest Additions is implemented.
It would be nice if there were a more official solutions to this though. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.
mcpope
Guest OSses: Mac OS X

Re: Transfer Files between Win7 host and OSX guest

Post by mcpope »

"The Volume X Cannot be Mounted"