Win XP Guest installation - setupdd.sys could not be loaded

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
guensch
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Win XP Guest installation - setupdd.sys could not be loaded

Post by guensch »

Hi,
I am trying to install a pretty old XP pro version (without Service Packs) as a guest. The installation starts smoothly but ends abruptly after 30 seconds or so giving the Error 7 message "setupdd.sys could not be loaded" (in German - so I don't know the exact translation).
The same happens when trying to install through "Parallels". In their forum they advise to change the boot sequence in the settings which I did - but no success!

Does anyone have an idea how this could be resolved?

Thanks and regards,
Guensch
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win XP Guest installation - setupdd.sys could not be loaded

Post by mpack »

I can't see how changing the boot order would help this problem.

Microsoft has a knowledgebase article about a similar issue. They seem to imply that the problem is caused by using hardware which XP doesn't recognize. Did you use all defaults for the hardware when you created the VM? Rather than answer verbally, perhaps you should just post your VMs xml file - as an attachment please.
guensch

Post by guensch »

Hi, thanks for the answer. I tried to locate the respective xml file on my system - but couldn't find it. Do you know where it is located under mac os x?
To answer your question verbally: Yes, I have used all delfaults!

Thanks and regards,
Guensch
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

guensch wrote:Hi, thanks for the answer. I tried to locate the respective xml file on my system - but couldn't find it. Do you know where it is located under mac os x?
Nope, I'm not a Mac user. However I imagine that if you run the VBox GUI and select File|Preferences you will be able to read what the default machine folder is. That is where you should look.
guensch

Post by guensch »

These are the files I have in my VB home directory. There are no XML files in there (or at least I cannot identify them).

Thanks and regards,
Guensch
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-01-09 at AM 11.53.06.png
Screen shot 2011-01-09 at AM 11.53.06.png (47.75 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The Windows Xp.vbox is what it is now (version 4.0.0)
Attach that.
Also I would check to make sure that the guest settings -> storage has the HDD attached to IDE and *not* sata.
guensch

Post by guensch »

Okay, here you go. Hope this helps! I had to rename the file to a .txt in order to be able to upload it here.The HD settings seem to be ok!

Thanks and regards,
Guensch
Attachments
Windows XP copy.txt
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

It looks fine. I am going to say that the install media is defective, especially since you say it fails at the same place on parallels.
If this is an official Windows install cd I would try to rip it to an iso file and see if it will copy through the bad places.
I have also seen this with nLite copies of Windows where the person that created the CD did ot do it properly.
Btracey

Post by Btracey »

Hello PerryG
I had the same issue while attempting to install Windows XP home, and I have been following this thread. All of my setting match those in the file you just said looked good, but it still won't install. Now, you suggest ripping the install CD to an ISO file and installing it somehow that way? How would I go about that? Or is there an explanation of that process somewhere else on the forums?
Thanks
Btracey
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Most CD/DVD burning software has an option to make an image of the disk and that should create an ISO file. Although I think MACs use a dmg file (not too sure about that though).
Look and see if your software supports this.
Btracey

Post by Btracey »

So, I copied the disk image from the install CD to my hard drive and directed the VM to boot from that image (it was a .iso file) but received the same error message of "setupdd.sys could not be loaded" Any other suggestions?
Btracey

Post by Btracey »

Also, looking back at the earlier posts just now, you mentioned something about disks made with nLite causing a similar issue. Would that kind of disk be one that was created to re-install a pre-installed system that did not come with an OS install disk?
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Btracey wrote:Also, looking back at the earlier posts just now, you mentioned something about disks made with nLite causing a similar issue. Would that kind of disk be one that was created to re-install a pre-installed system that did not come with an OS install disk?
No but this could explain why you do not have the file that you state. Depending on what you used to create the image of the drive from metal, it is most definitely not the same hardware in VirtualBox.
Btracey

Post by Btracey »

As far as I thought, I was just trying to create a bootable CD of the OS. I used this article http://www.howtohaven.com/system/create ... disk.shtml to create the disk.