Install VBox 4.0.0 on Ubuntu server 10.10 32bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
williamx
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu 10.10

Install VBox 4.0.0 on Ubuntu server 10.10 32bit

Post by williamx »

Hello everyone I'm trying to setup an Ubuntu server without X to run VBox (headless vbox installation).

My host
CPU: Pentium 4 with HT
RAM: 2GB PC-3200

Ok so far i downloaded the corresponding version to my OS of VBox from here: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... k_i386.deb

To download it i issue the following command:

Code: Select all

wget http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.0/virtualbox-4.0_4.0.0-69151~Ubuntu~maverick_i386.deb -O vbox_4.0.0-69151_maverick_i386.deb
after that I installed it with the following command:

sudo dpkg -i vbox_4.0.0-69151_maverick_i386.deb
during the installation evrething goes fine until it try to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS.
This is the message that i get

*Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules
* done.
*uninstalling old VirtualBox kernel modules
* done.
*Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS
*Failed, trying withuot DKMS
*Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules
* done.
*Starting VirtualBox kernel modules
* done.
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
Processing triggers for python-central ...
Am I missing something or my installation is good to go?
What could be a possibility that make it to failed to register the Vbox kernel modules using DKMS?
If you aren't in the path to become who you want to be, Then you are in the path to become who you don't want to be!!!
williamx

Re: Install VBox 4.0.0 on Ubuntu server 10.10 32bit

Post by williamx »

Wow about a week and no answers yet...

Have anyone try or installed already Virtualbox on an Ubuntu server without a Graphical User Interface (GUI)?
I installed it about a week ago and I wonder how to install a Guests OS from the CLI (command-line Interface)?

I know how to register and image to the VM and how to run it from the CLI, but i guess that I have to remotely access the VM in order to finish the installation. I also have SSH server running on the server so i can configure it remotely, but how can i view the VM in order to finish the installation of a guest OS?

Note: I know that on ubuntu server I can install a Desktop GUI (Gnome), but what I want to do is to run the server without a GUI, and have it running VBox. Then I would like to access the VM remotely from an access device (Thin-clients, zero-clients, or regular PCs).
If you aren't in the path to become who you want to be, Then you are in the path to become who you don't want to be!!!
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

I also have SSH server running on the server so i can configure it remotely, but how can i view the VM in order to finish the installation of a guest OS?
i don't bother with headless and install a minimal gnome on my debian servers: running update-rc.d gdm disable makes it headless.
Then apt-get install xrdp (make sure it is version 0.5.0~something this one works fine) and you can access the servers gnome desktop from any RDP speaking device
williamx

Post by williamx »

I will try that but I stil interested to know how to do it without having to install a GUI.
stmiller

Post by stmiller »

Wow about a week and no answers yet...
Wow I guess you should ask for a refund then.

That error just sounds like you don't have dkms installed. Also, check out the full virtualbox install log, search google for what errors are in that log, etc.

/var/log/vbox-install.log

Cheers,
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Few things that you need to do for 32 bit Ubuntu server (no gui). Additional packages are required.

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname-r)
Then when you install VirtualBox use the switch --nox11

To install guests see Chapter 7.1.3. Step by step: creating a virtual machine on a headless server in your VirtualBox users guide.
williamx

Post by williamx »

Perryg wrote:Few things that you need to do for 32 bit Ubuntu server (no gui). Additional packages are required.

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname-r)
Then when you install VirtualBox use the switch --nox11

To install guests see Chapter 7.1.3. Step by step: creating a virtual machine on a headless server in your VirtualBox users guide.
Thanks Perryg I will read the chapter 7.1.3 and I will install the missing packages as you mention.

As a comment I will say that this is the kind of answer that I was looking for, an accurate answer from a Linux Guy. For Stmiller and all of you who always says search on google for this or for that... People this is the official Virtual Box forum and I am here to help and learn from others, I'm not here to surf on the Internet unless it is necessary, And i think that the best support for VBox is from the experts on this forums.
williamx

Post by williamx »

Hello perryg

I installed a low resources GUI before I readed your your post, so I uninstalled Ubuntu server and reinstall it, after that i installed the Linux headers correspondig the missing packaged that you mention, then I download and install VBox 4.0.0 when installing it ask me for some packaged dependencies so I use the -f switch and averyting works well.

Now VBox is ready and I create a VM called Ubuntu to test practice how to install ubuntu via RDP, i create a HDD and assigned to it also i downloded the Ubuntu.iso and attached it to the VM with the IDE controller device 0 port 1, evrithing is working fine. I configure the nic to nat, now the vm is on a different network that the rest of my computers (my phisycal PC are on the network 192.168.1.0/24 network and the VM is on 192.168.122.0/24 network). that way I cant see the VM from my phisycal PC unless i crete a default route on my router to foward the 192.168.122.0 network to the VM host but my router does not have the option to create default routes.

I changed the nic1 from nat to bridged but now when i try to start the VM it says:

Error: failed to start machine. Error message: Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Am79C970A' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND). 
Unknown error creating VM (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND)
williamx

Post by williamx »

Ok i fixed it I bridged it to the eth0 interface and changed the virbr0 Ip to 192.168.1.72, now I can ping the VM from any of my Physical PCs on the network but I can't see it from an RDP client.
Do I have to anable VRDP on the VM or do I have to install an RDP server on the HOST OS?
fixedwheel
Volunteer

Post by fixedwheel »

williamx wrote:Do I have to anable VRDP on the VM or do I have to install an RDP server on the HOST OS?
VRDP is the VBox RDP, thats what Perryg meant - you access the guest directly

with RDP server like xrdp on the host you access the hosts desktop with the complete VBox GUI, and additionally you could enable VRDP for the guest
jdbower
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows XP/7, OSX 10.6

Post by jdbower »

Remember, VRDP runs on the host machine, not the guest. I'm not sure how well it will work without any GUI installed but it's worth a shot (are there dependencies? I have a basic Gnome desktop install on mine, but I'll switch to OpenBox soon).

Also make sure the network config on the host allows for the VRDP port to be open to your desktop. Personally I prefer to SSH into my host and forward the port, something like "ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 user@hostmachine" and then run "rdesktop localhost:3389" to get the VRDP (now VRDE) session up. This saves me the hassle and worry of an unprotected port open on my host.
williamx

Post by williamx »

Ok here are my VM settings I configured the vrde ports to range from 5000 - 5012. ( i can ssh to the host machine, I have done all the configurations via ssh).

I use the (VBoxManage showvminfo Ubuntu --details |more) and this is the output:

Name:            Ubuntu
Guest OS:        Ubuntu
UUID:            27430190-dac1-4e36-94ac-e830fabb4229
Config file:     /home/william/VirtualBox VMs/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.
vbox
Snapshot folder: /home/william/VirtualBox VMs/Ubuntu/Snapsho
ts
Log folder:      /home/william/VirtualBox VMs/Ubuntu/Logs
Hardware UUID:   27430190-dac1-4e36-94ac-e830fabb4229
Memory size:     512MB
Page Fusion:     off
VRAM size:       8MB
HPET:            off
Chipset:         piix3
Firmware:        BIOS
Number of CPUs:  1
Synthetic Cpu:   off
CPUID overrides: None
Boot menu mode:  message and menu
Boot Device (1): DVD
Boot Device (2): DVD
Boot Device (3): HardDisk
Boot Device (4): Not Assigned
ACPI:            on
IOAPIC:          off
PAE:             off
Time offset:     0 ms
RTC:             local time
Hardw. virt.ext: on
Hardw. virt.ext exclusive: on
Nested Paging:   on
Large Pages:     off
VT-x VPID:       on
State:           powered off (since 2011-01-05T01:30:31.0000
00000)
Monitor count:   1
3D Acceleration: off
2D Video Acceleration: off
Teleporter Enabled: off
Teleporter Port: 0
Teleporter Address: 
Teleporter Password: 
Storage Controller Name (0):            ide
Storage Controller Type (0):            PIIX4
Storage Controller Instance Number (0): 0
Storage Controller Max Port Count (0):  2
Storage Controller Port Count (0):      2
Storage Controller Bootable (0):        on
ide (0, 0): /home/william/ubuntu.vdi (UUID: d250044e-aac4-42
f0-8ee4-d144e7b5a39f)
ide (0, 1): /home/william/Ubuntu-10_10-i386.iso (UUID: defb3
d8f-d296-477a-af7c-a90bcee49064)
NIC 1:           MAC: 0800278A9BEC, Attachment: Host-only In
terface 'eth0', Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none)
, Type: Am79C970A, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0
NIC 2:           disabled
NIC 3:           disabled
NIC 4:           disabled
NIC 5:           disabled
NIC 6:           disabled
NIC 7:           disabled
NIC 8:           disabled
Pointing Device: PS/2 Mouse
Keyboard Device: PS/2 Keyboard
UART 1:          disabled
UART 2:          disabled
Audio:           disabled
Clipboard Mode:  Bidirectional
VRDE:            enabled (Address 192.168.1.72, Ports 5000, 
MultiConn: off, ReuseSingleConn: off, Authentication type: n
ull)
Video redirection: disabled
USB:             disabled

USB Device Filters:

<none>

Available remote USB devices:

<none>

Currently Attached USB Devices:

<none>

Shared folders:  <none>

VRDE Connection:    not active
Clients so far:     0

Guest:

OS type:                             Ubuntu
Additions run level:                 0
Configured memory balloon size:      0 MB
williamx

Post by williamx »

jdbower wrote:Remember, VRDP runs on the host machine, not the guest. I'm not sure how well it will work without any GUI installed but it's worth a shot (are there dependencies? I have a basic Gnome desktop install on mine, but I'll switch to OpenBox soon).

Also make sure the network config on the host allows for the VRDP port to be open to your desktop. Personally I prefer to SSH into my host and forward the port, something like "ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 user@hostmachine" and then run "rdesktop localhost:3389" to get the VRDP (now VRDE) session up. This saves me the hassle and worry of an unprotected port open on my host.
Yes there are some dependencies when installing it headless.

First I install the packages that perryg mention.
Then I download and install Vbox. When installing it I get a message for missing dependencies so I use

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade -f
Then the ubuntu install all the dependencies first then continuing whit VBox.

Now I am trying to RDP the VM to finish the guest installation. I tried already the RDP client on Windows 7 with no luck and also I tried the third party RDP client called Terminals. Note that I can ssh the Host with Terminals.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

NIC 1: MAC: 0800278A9BEC, Attachment: Host-only In
VRDE: enabled (Address 192.168.1.72, Ports 5000,

Normally the host-only address range is 192.168.56.*

Did you set this manually too? I thought you said you set it to Bridged mode as well.
Then I download and install Vbox. When installing it I get a message for missing dependencies so I use
Wrong decision. You should have used the --nox11 switch at the end of the install command.

From the looks of it you might want to stick with the GUI instead of headless until you learn more about VirtualBox, Linux, and networking. Not criticizing you so don't get me wrong. But if this is important to you it will be a lot faster for you, unless you are doing this to learn.
jdbower
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows XP/7, OSX 10.6

Post by jdbower »

If it's any consolation, I've been using VirtualBox for over a year now and while I love managing via the CLI, I find it infinitely easier to create a new machine via the GUI. I think this is all you'll need for a minimal GUI install, then open up 5901 and run vncserver:1 to start X Windows:
sudo apt-get install xorg openbox openssh-server vnc4server rdesktop