VirtualBox 1.5.6 don't catch the mouse after update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
BjA

VirtualBox 1.5.6 don't catch the mouse after update

Post by BjA »

Hi,
this is my problem: with VBoxVRDP and rdesktop I have 2 mouse pointers and both are movable. When I start the local vm with VirtualBox then the windows xp mouse is not movable. The mouse from the host system (ubuntu 7.10) is movable. When I click in the Window I get a dialog to catch the mouse pointer. After that I have the same problem.

Before I have tested with VBoxVRDP and before I have updated to new version of VirtualBox the local vm runs very well.

Regards
Björn

Update: On another ubuntu computer (7.10) I have the same problem after an update to version 1.5.6-28266_Ubuntu_gutsy.
samiux

Post by samiux »

I also have the same problem that the mouse cannot be captured when the Ubuntu 7.10 nVidia driver (nvidia-glx-new) is loaded. However, my friend's Lenovo T61 with nVidia display card and Intel CPU has no such problem on Ubuntu 7.10.

My hardware configuration :
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
nVidia GeForce 8500GT

My operating system :
Ubuntu 7.10
BjA

Post by BjA »

I have this problem in two configurations.

First configuration:
Athlon 64 X2 4200+, nVidia GeForce 8600GT, Ubuntu 7.10

Second configuration:
Intel Pentium IV 2.53 MHz, nVidia GeForce 7600GS, Ubuntu 7.10

Which version of VirtualBox do you use on your computer?
samiux

Post by samiux »

The latest version of Virtualbox. After the update, the mouse cannot be captured under nVidia driver on Ubuntu 7.10 and my configuration of hardware.
BjA

Post by BjA »

I have found out that with unabled compiz the problem is not existent. Do you have the same behavior?
samiux

Post by samiux »

I disabled the Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 7.10 host, the problem gone on the Ubuntu 7.10 guest.

My friend's Lenovo ThinkPad T61 (Intel Core 2 Duo T7250, nVidia Quadro NVS 140M display card) running Ubuntu 7.10 host with Compiz Fusion enabled and Windows XP SP2 guest but no such problem.

UPDATED : I also checked with other distibutions as guest with Compiz Fusion enabled, such as OpenSuSE and CentOS, in the same manner. I think it is not the problem of the the guest OS.

I am running 32-bit host and guest OSes.
BjA

Post by BjA »

Exactly, it's not a problem with the guest OS. My guest OS is WinXP SP2.

Now, I have seen in the bugtracker list and I have not found a relevant bug for our problem. We have to create a new bug ticket. Who is going to do this, you or me? I don't have an account yet.
samiux

Post by samiux »

I have filing the bug at http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1236.
cnegrete

Post by cnegrete »

You could install the latest VirtualBox Additions to the virtual machine.

That fixed a bug with shared folders in my machine.
samiux

Post by samiux »

cnegrete wrote:You could install the latest VirtualBox Additions to the virtual machine.

That fixed a bug with shared folders in my machine.
I did not share any folder between host and guest OSes.
BjA

Post by BjA »

Thanks for creating the bug ticket.
priselia
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: VIRTUALBOX

Re: VirtualBox 1.5.6 don't catch the mouse after update

Post by priselia »

How do you fix a computer mouse? I'm not sure how it happened but today my computer mouse is not working. I try moving it and the cursor is stuck and doesn't move. I opened it and cleaned all the inside, including the ball, and still no luck. Any other ideas?