scale mode

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
degarb
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: win 98/xp/win2k

Re: scale mode

Post by degarb »

Sorry, my patience is thin. Been trying to get a working linux on main desktop, since before Christmas, with no luck. Road block everywhere (my past "terminal only correctible issues: printer doesn't have working linux driver, video driver doesn't work, wubi snaptic is broken, windows networking took 14 hours to get working and was broke because install put bad host entries into host file, grub install on usb didn't work, getting a working dos machine is not possible but needed because simple goto in bash is not supported and it would take 1000 hours to convert script over, xmacro doesn't work) and overcomplexity and lazy coding (Mac and MS got away from commandline decades ago, in favor of gui configuring). Now, once again, the linux way is another complex list of directions, once followed, is still no go because some small detail is left out, like sudo doesn't work and must log in as root. Even once guest installer was run, something still didn't work, because still too slow, and properties tell me no Guest additions detected.

The guest addtions.exe had no need for a tutorial. I don't understand why they VBOX doesn't come with this preinstalled or automated install on deb installation. Why, you like the feeling of googling and following terminal instructions?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Whay not reading the howto? See Tutorial Section, linux guests. As i said two times before.

Follow the howto and post again if you have problems.
degarb

Post by degarb »

stefan.becker wrote:Whay not reading the howto? See Tutorial Section, linux guests. As i said two times before.

Follow the howto and post again if you have problems.
\

I might have better luck-I hope-when #! updater not running. I am hoping preparing the kernel failed because snaptic was busy, and cruchbang failed to alert me of this. But I'm not on machine now, and will need to make time to do this around other pressing things.
degarb

Post by degarb »

The kernel prep worked this time without updater running. But man, this takes long. However, I was totally unable to get anything working in root mode with sh ./Vbox...run Until I copied over relevant file and folder to root home and ran from there.

I increased the video ram and sys ram. I like the integrated mode ctrl L.

I do not see where the shared folder is. Though I swear I set to share mydocuments under name documents.
yjmacqu
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by yjmacqu »

degarb wrote:I am just installed vm for win host. And installing crunchbang; updating for the os for first time.

The mouse was lagging. Fullscreen really wasn't full screen. So I enabled scaling (mouse still dragging). But now vbox menus gone. and winkey c won't get me out of this mode.
Please :
for virtualbox 4.0.0 help document

1.8.5. Resizing the machine's window
You can resize the virtual machine's window when it is running. In that case, one of three things will happen:

If you have "scale mode" enabled, then the virtual machine's screen will be scaled to the size of the window. This can be useful if you have many machines running and want to have a look at one of them while it is running in the background. Alternatively, it might be useful to enlarge a window if the VM's output screen is very small, for example because you are running an old operating system in it.

To enable scale mode, press the host key + C, or select "Scale mode" from the "Machine" menu in the VM window. To leave scale mode, press the host key + C again.

Please see Chapter 14, Known limitations for additional remarks.

If you have the Guest Additions installed and they support automatic resizing, the Guest Additions will automatically adjust the screen resolution of the guest operating system. For example, if you are running a Windows guest with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels and you then resize the VM window to make it 100 pixels wider, the Guest Additions will change the Windows display resolution to 1124x768.

Please see Chapter 4, Guest Additions for more information about the Guest Additions.

Otherwise, if the window is bigger than the VM's screen, the screen will be centered. If it is smaller, then scroll bars will be added to the machine window.