scale mode

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
degarb
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: win 98/xp/win2k

scale mode

Post by degarb »

I am just installed vm for win host. And installing crunchbang; updating for the os for first time.

The mouse was lagging. Fullscreen really wasn't full screen. So I enabled scaling (mouse still dragging). But now vbox menus gone. and winkey c won't get me out of this mode.
degarb

Re: scale mode

Post by degarb »

stefan.becker wrote:Install Guest Additions.

Okay, will try that. I think to get control back with menus, unless I find out right hotkey to get out of scale mode, I will need to kill and restart vbox. But, now I am trying to install all cruchbang updates. Because of speed and dialog boxes that take my decisions, this could take a few days to get through these updates. (why any installer wouldn't put all dialogs at beggining or end of install, is beyond me. Same goes for cddb lookups with rippers--dialogs for multiple enties should be at end of ripping session.)
degarb

Post by degarb »

Just on a lark, I pressed left control c, and got out of scale mode.

When I click install guest additions, nothing happens.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

There happens something.

Look into the Tutorial Section / Linux guests. Read howto install the guest additions on linux guests.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Clicking install addtions from device menu does nothing. But, if I open a file manager, I see the virtual iso. I just don't know what to do next, if anything.

I see a VBOXWindowsAddtions-x86.exe. Now, since the vmachine is in windows on a 32 bit, perhaps I should click this? Or do I look for a linux addition since this a virtual linux?
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Read the manual. Its all described. Guest Additions muest be installed in the guest, as the name says.
degarb

Post by degarb »

http://digitizor.com/2009/05/26/how-to- ... nux-guest/

I just followed all directions here, it seemed to not work, or it worked by no change. As usual, installing something under linux is not as easy as installing anything in windows. It required 18 steps and hundreds of key strokes, and half hour of googling. 1. How do I check if the guest addition worked? 2. Why isn't this a a NO TERMINAl install? HEll, this isn't 1992 or 1986 anymore.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html following these directions just give me "cannot open" VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Look into the Tutorial Section / Linux guests. Read howto install the guest additions on linux guests.
degarb

Post by degarb »

The below doesn't work:

Installing the Linux Guest Additions

The VirtualBox Guest Additions for Linux are provided on the same ISO CD-ROM as the Additions for Windows described above. They also come with an installation program guiding you through the setup process, although, due to the significant differences between Linux distributions, installation may be slightly more complex.

Installation generally involves the following steps:

Before installing the Guest Additions, you will have to prepare your guest system for building external kernel modules. This works similarly as described in the section called “The VirtualBox kernel module”, except that this step must now be performed in your Linux guest instead of on a Linux host system, as described there.

Again, as with Linux hosts, we recommend using DKMS for Linux guests as well. If it is not installed, use this command for Ubuntu/Debian systems:

sudo apt-get install dkms
or for Fedora systems:

yum install dkms
Make sure to nstall DKMS before installing the Linux Guest Additions.

Mount the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file as your Linux guest's virtual CD-ROM drive, exactly the same way as described for a Windows guest in the section called “Installation”.

Change to the directory where your CD-ROM drive is mounted and execute as root:

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
In a 64-bit Linux guest, use VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run instead.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Cannot open the run file. The only thing might be missing, may be the apt-get might be busy with the open office update (ten hour update), but crunchbang (debian based) is not equiped to tell me.

Still, I really would like an linux that would swear off the terminal, find a better way of installing stuff. This distro would make number one with half a billion new users over next 10 years, not 12-24 million repeat users and puffed up numbers.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Well, tinking, I found if I opened the file browser as root and opened termininal. sudo sh ./V..run worked . This if bs. A simple sudo alone doesn't work.

Anyway, past the deficient instructions of the overly complex process, it ran. It did say it had to a non-kernel setup of the guest additions. I will need to reboot the machine to seem if things perkup. If not start again, but terminal as root. First will need to get through this cruch bang update that has been running since last evening.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

I did an install of Ubuntu 10.10 today.
Even install the GA went smooth, like silk, following the tutorial.
Have a good year!
degarb

Post by degarb »

Installing the GA on linux host was one click and done in 30 seconds. The linux guest GA has wasted hours of my time, and no luck yet. I will probably just wipe off the VBox next week, if, by then, I don't figure out why after running the installer (subpar instructions, missing root key), the Vbox is still not detecting the installed Guest additions.

The very fact that you NEED a tutorial to make something work, is clear indication something is broke. Then, following the voodoo commands works for some, but not others.

A good OS should have the ability to put free sample XYZ Linux cd's at checkout of KMart (ala NetZero), and take over MSWindows as the dominant OS in a period of just a few years. There are obvious reasons, if you are honest and have dabbled, that this will not work at this time.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

degarb wrote:following the voodoo commands
So, you do not know the how-to's of the various versions of Linux.
Neither do I. Which is why I use the tutorial.
A good OS should have the ability to put free sample XYZ Linux cd's at checkout of KMart (ala NetZero), and take over MSWindows as the dominant OS in a period of just a few years.
VB is not an OS, just an application.