How do I connect my VM to the internet?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
izzotheschizo
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: win vista 32

How do I connect my VM to the internet?

Post by izzotheschizo »

Ok, Im a brand new Linux user. Please understand, I know how to open the terminal but I avoid it unless its my last option. Not only that, but I dont know how to compile anything.

I installed a guest Vista 32. This is what I was using before I decided to try linux 64. Oh and 64 bit os wont install on virtualbox 64 for me.

My Vista VM runs fine except for one thing...no internet. I tried NAT and Bridged Adaptor and niethier work for me. I guess with nat im suppoused to use port forwarding, but I dont know how. As far as my device manager in vista knows, I dont even have a network card. Oracle Virtualbox settings are set with the adapter type PCnet-FAST III (AM79c973) Mac address 080027E150D4. Is this the right adapter, or do I need to change it? I tried changing the southbridge, but then vista vm wouldnt even boot up, so I changed it back.

Being able to run Windows on a VM is very important for me as a user, because I dont know how to do nothing but surf the web and I tried to use aMSN to send sms, but it didnt work, the best i can do is send yahoo im's thru pidgin in Linux. Its not like im losing any ram since I was running a 32 bit os with 4 gigs of ram. Virtualbox say this vm is using only one cpu, but on my host linux resource monitor I can clearly see that both cores are being used.

I have an integrated nic and it works great on my host linux. I really want to give this a try, can anyone help me in plain english please?

Thank you in advance.
izzotheschizo
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: win vista 32

Re: How do I connect my VM to the internet?

Post by izzotheschizo »

Ok, I found the manual and it said to pick the intel 1000 I have a desktop so I picked desktop, I got internet now horray!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: How do I connect my VM to the internet?

Post by Sasquatch »

Which VB version are you using? On my Linux Host with VirtualBox 4.0.0, the default network setting for a Vista VM is NAT with one of the Intel adapters. It's really weird that you got the PCNet adapter as default. If that is the case, you must be running a very old version.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.