Windows guest, slow upload

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
cold80

Windows guest, slow upload

Post by cold80 »

We're running a CentOS 5.0 64 bit with VirtualBox 1.5.6. The hardware is very fast (QuadCore with 8 GB of RAM) and the connection is really very fast. Now, we tried with different versions of Windows as guests. Everything is ok apart from the upload. If we download from the Windows guest the speed is high (4-6 MB per second), otherwise if we connect from outside to the machine and we download from it the speed decrease to 10-20 Kb per second. We have tried with different web servers (IIS5, IIS6 and Apache) and the result is the same: from the windows guest the download is very fast but the upload is really slow.
Then we tried with a Debian guest. No problem with it, we can download and upload very fast.
Every guest is using NAT configuration. Do you have any ideas? This is really a big trouble for us, it is not possible to host anything with this bandwidth!

Thank you very much for your help

cold
themonkeyspanner

Same here afriad with my senario

Post by themonkeyspanner »

Hi there,

I have same issues... I use Ubuntu 7.10 as host with Vbox 1.5.6 installed and have Windows XP Pro guest VM. On the guest OS browsing and genieral downloading of files via networked maped drives is fast. i.e I can download and iso image file of about 600MB in about 2 mins average.

The problem is the upload speed of data to my server running a database on another Windows 2003 server. To retrieve data is painfully slow.

I admire this piece of software and all working well except for this networking issue on my Xp guest OS. If only there was something we could...?

ps. The NIC reports 10mbs too in my XP VM.
soulskater

Post by soulskater »

Hi.

I'm also running at 10Mbit/s speed but i use bridging and can't say that my speed is considerably slow, it's not fast compared to 100Mbit/s but it's quite alright for my needs.

Although i only run XP machines not server systems in it so your demand for bandwidth may be a little bit higher than mine, so i recommend that you create bridged networking and try again to see if the overall network traffic speed increases.

/soulskater