PIIX3 to ICH9 conversion?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Shadowww
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Various

PIIX3 to ICH9 conversion?

Post by Shadowww »

Hi! How to PROPERLY change PIIX3 to ICH9 on already installed Windows 7 x86 VM?

When I just do it, without any preparations, I get this on first (first after chipset change, not after win7 install) boot:

But then, Windows asks for reboot, and then I have constant BSOD -> reboot -> BSOD -> ... until I change chipset back to PIIX3.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: PIIX3 to ICH9 conversion?

Post by Perryg »

The easiest way is to add the SATA controller and leave the HDD attached to the IDE controller until all of the Windows drivers are in place.
Once they are and working properly you should be able to change the HDD to the SATA controller in the guest settings.
Shadowww

Post by Shadowww »

um, HDD was on SATA controller even before I upgraded to VB4 (which added ICH9 support).
squall leonhart
Guest OSses: Windows XP, 8, 10, Android x86

Post by squall leonhart »

Shadowww wrote:um, HDD was on SATA controller even before I upgraded to VB4 (which added ICH9 support).

Read Perry's post again CLOSELY.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

It works as from Perryg suggested. Checked with Windows 7 32/64 bit guests.
Shadowww

Post by Shadowww »

squall leonhart wrote:Read Perry's post again CLOSELY.
I did. First thing I see is "add a SATA controller". But I already have SATA controller & HDD attached to it.
Second thing I see is "leave HDD attached to IDE controller". But duh, I don't have IDE controller at all, how could I leave it attached to there?
squall leonhart

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

add the ide controller (in ICH6 for decent performance) and let windows do its thing.

also install a newer version of the intel sata driver, the matrix 8.x based version installed by windows 7 has issues with vbox sata and cdroms.
ender`
Guest OSses: XP x64

Post by ender` »

I experienced something similar when I switched XP x64 from PIIX3 to ICH9 (disk was AHCI from the beginning) - VM BSODs after reboot - but if I power off the VM and start it again, it starts up without any problems.

However, this is where things get weird: I've got 3 snapshots in this VM, and I upgraded each snapshot separately. Somehow one of these snapshots was updated to Intel's 9.6.0 AHCI driver (the rest are on 7.0.0), and this snapshot doesn't BSOD when I restart Windows. However when I tried to install this same driver in one of the other snapshots, it didn't fix the BSODs on reboot (neither did using the latest - 10.1.0 driver). Anyway, it's not that big of a deal for me, since I don't usually reboot the VM anyway.
Shadowww

Post by Shadowww »

Intel Matrix Storage driver 9.6 helped, thanks guys :)
Virtual69

Post by Virtual69 »

OK, I still don't get it. I'm not sure why people think it's cool to leave cryptic answers, and not just say exactly what needs to be done.

I've installed the Intel RST drivers 10.1, which seem to be the new name of Intel Storage Matrix driver.

I changed my system type to ICH9 and booted Windows 7. It booted once fine, but the does the repeated BSOD on each boot.

So, can someone actually post the actual recipe to get ICH9 working?

Thanks.
squall leonhart

Virtual69 wrote:OK, I still don't get it. I'm not sure why people think it's cool to leave cryptic answers, and not just say exactly what needs to be done.

I've installed the Intel RST drivers 10.1, which seem to be the new name of Intel Storage Matrix driver.

I changed my system type to ICH9 and booted Windows 7. It booted once fine, but the does the repeated BSOD on each boot.

So, can someone actually post the actual recipe to get ICH9 working?

Thanks.
its a bug, you cannot reboot, you have to shut the vm down each time and start fresh

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37518

its fixed in latest code, but no build has been pushed as yet