4.0.0-SunOS-r69151 Can't Install Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
watersb
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mac OSX, Linux, Solaris

4.0.0-SunOS-r69151 Can't Install Extension Pack

Post by watersb »

It's exciting that 4.0.0 has hit a release. But I can't install the extension pack.

File -> Preferences -> Extensions -> (click on the icon to Add package) -> select Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.0-69151.vbox-extpack in File dialog
Install
Agree to the License Agreement
Password Required dialog: "Enter the password of root to run the application ... VBoxExtPackHelperApp ..."
I enter my password (note: root is a role, not a user, so I assume it wants a password for elevated privileges)
Failure dialog
exit code 3: embedded_su: Sorry
result code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

I was able to get the extension pack to install by entering this command at a bash prompt:

Code: Select all

pfexec /opt/VirtualBox/amd64/VBoxExtPackHelperApp --stdout /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-r6zjis/stdout --stderr /tmp/VBoxExtPackHelper-r6zjis/stderr --elevated install --base-dir /opt/VirtualBox/ExtensionPacks --cert-dir /opt/VirtualBox/ExtPackCertificates --name 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' --tarball /home/bwaters/Downloads/VirtualBox-4.0.0_RELEASE/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.0-69151.vbox-extpack
Note that you'd have to change that command for your own tmp dirs and path to the extension pack.

Shipping software would be lots of fun if it weren't for those dang users. But in this case I don't think it's (totally) my fault. Although I am often wrong about this.
budy
Primary OS: OpenSolaris 11
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MacOS, Linux

Re: 4.0.0-SunOS-r69151 Can't Install Extension Pack

Post by budy »

You can also install the extension pack by issueing this, slightly shorter, command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.0-69151.vbox-extpack
Cheers,
budy
schtebo
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows 7/xp, debian lenny / ubuntu lucidlynx

Re: 4.0.0-SunOS-r69151 Can't Install Extension Pack

Post by schtebo »

thx...searched so log why rdp didnt work any more.... thanks for your post!!