VBox 4 beta issues ignored?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Solaris hosts.
bqbauer

VBox 4 beta issues ignored?

Post by bqbauer »

VB4 was released ignoring, or with some krufty solutions to, certain issues posted in the beta forum:

The worst is when you have an X11 host and an X11 guest (Ubuntu or Solaris Express for example) and you switch to seamless mode, switching back to windowed mode doesn't preserve the window's original size. Instead it shrinks the guest to a very small window. This never happened prior to version 4.

Also, resizing the guest (X11 guests) causes the window to flash for several seconds. If you let go of the mouse during this time, the window snaps to a small version. Again, unique to VB4.

I've reproduced these on three different computers running both Solaris Express and Ubuntu 10.10 as both hosts & guests.

Again, before someone suggests random solutions, these behaviors did not exist prior to VB4, so I doubt it's specifically Gnome rather than how the additions are being handled.

A more minor and just plain annoying issue: the extension pack install doesn't use pfexec or sudo, but instead asks for your root password. With that, it presents a large ugly window with an extremely long command. If you enter it incorrectly, the process fails with an unhelpful error rather than giving you a chance to try again. You must restart the entire process from the beginning.
bqbauer

Re: VBox 4 beta issues ignored?

Post by bqbauer »

I've also just noticed this seamless/windowed resizing issue affects XP guests on my Solaris Express host.