Mouse pointer disappears on doing the following...

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
sheksis
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Mouse pointer disappears on doing the following...

Post by sheksis »

Host: Fedora 14
Guest: Fedora 14
* Beta 4, GA updated, Extension Pack latest.
* 3-D enabled.

Two users in guest, say 'user1' and 'user2'

Reproducible always. Steps to reproduce:
1. login as 'user1'.
2. After that Switch User to 'user2' (dont logout 'user1' but switch user )
3. After logging into user2, try enabling Desktop Effects (System->Preferences->Desktop Effects). It fails.
4. Log out 'user2'. Login back to 'user1' and the pointer is gone. Desktop Effects cant be enabled here either.

P.S.: Note that I was able to enable Desktop Effects after I login to 'user1' in Step 1.

I would also like to note that my mouse pointer inside guest has disappeared on a couple of occasions too. However, I didnt report it because I couldnt reproduce the occurences.
The above steps always reproduce the problem.
mhanor
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: various

Re: Mouse pointer disappears on doing the following...

Post by mhanor »

Are you sure it's a VirtualBox issue? Have you tested the host OS using the same steps?
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

mhanor wrote:Are you sure it's a VirtualBox issue? Have you tested the host OS using the same steps?
I am pretty sure its a VirtualBox issue. The guest VM I am using has been there for more than a month now and the same steps worked fine for VB 3.*
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

Ok. Its Reproducible with an Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) guest too. That rules out it being a guest OS issue, perhaps.

The host is Fedora 14.
If I disable 3D and repeat the same steps (I've tried that only for Ubuntu 10.10 guest), then the problem persists. So its not a 3D issue.

Also, note that the pointer disappears only for the guest. I think its there but invisible. If I click and if the invisible pointer is over some object, then the object gets selected.
When I hover out of the guest VirtualBox window, I can see the host OS pointer.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

What do you get when you change the Mouse Integration option (from enabled to disabled and vice versa)?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

Sasquatch wrote:What do you get when you change the Mouse Integration option (from enabled to disabled and vice versa)?
Heres the observation:
1. Upon logging into 'user 1' in Step 1, 'Disable Mouse Integration' is unchecked but is *not* greyed out.
2. On switching to 'user2'. 'Disable Mouse Integration' is still unchecked and *not* greyed out.
3. On logging out of 'user 2' and when the box to enter the password for 'user 1' is displayed, that is where the pointer disappears. At this point 'Disable Mouse Integration' is *unchecked and is greyed out*
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Then in that case, the GA are crashing in some way. You should always be able to disable the seamless mouse option. And what I actually meant that you should test, is everything you did without the seamless mouse enabled. So you need the Host key to release the mouse to the Host again.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

Good that you pointed out testing with "Disable Mouse Integration" checked. I did the same and the pointer again disappears when the second user is logged out and the box to enter the
password for the first user pops up. At this point, "Disable Mouse Integration" is (surprisingly) greyed out and *unchecked* even though I'd ticked it before.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I can confirm that switching users is broken with the 4.0 Additions.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Could you try the Additions build at http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test ... r69115.iso to see if it makes a difference? This should fix the issue you could reproduce, but probably won't fix the sporadic cursor disappearances (feel free to open normal bug tickets for them if you do find a good recipe).
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

Thanks for the new GA build.
It does cure the disappearance of cursor. However, I think theres still a crash somewhere.

When I switch back to user1 after *logging out* of user2, I notice two things.
1. "Disable Mouse Integration" is greyed out yet again(even though I can see the pointer)
2. The guest window does not auto-resize.(Even though 'Auto Resize Guest Display' is checked) (*big irritant in day to day use)

Theres another problem too. When I switch to user2 from user1, I cannot enable 3D effects in user2. On logging out of user2 and logging back into user1, 3D is still broken.
As I mentioned before, 3D works great when I login to user1 the first time.
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

Oh.. I just noticed I cannot enable seamless mode when I log back to user1.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I'm not sure about 3D effects (I was actually able to enable them when switching back, but I'm less familiar with that code). Regarding the rest, I also noticed and strongly suspect that it never worked but that no one ever noticed. Feel free to open a bug ticket for that if you like - I have already created a ticket for myself in our internal bug tracker.

What was that you mentioned about a crash though?
sheksis

Post by sheksis »

michael wrote:I'm not sure about 3D effects (I was actually able to enable them when switching back, but I'm less familiar with that code). Regarding the rest, I also noticed and strongly suspect that it never worked but that no one ever noticed. Feel free to open a bug ticket for that if you like - I have already created a ticket for myself in our internal bug tracker.

What was that you mentioned about a crash though?
Well, I have Fedora 14 guests and there one needs to enable Desktop Effects manually. It still fails for me. However, 3D is something that I only use for playing around in the VM. So even it is of a lower priority for devs, I'm ok with it.

However, the guest window failing to auto-resize is a regression from the Beta 4 GA and the GA that you provided. Since you already have an internal bug ticket for it, I'll wait till it gets fixed.
About the crash, what I meant was that the GA crashed completely after switching back to user1 because auto-resize and switching to seamless mode stopped working. (Sorry if its wrong terminology).

Thanks for looking into it!
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

sheksis wrote:However, the guest window failing to auto-resize is a regression from the Beta 4 GA and the GA that you provided.
That is slightly different of course. Are you saying that you were able to switch users in the guest before beta 4 (or an earlier beta) and dynamic resizing and seamless kept on working?