Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Crashes VirtualBox

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dd1080
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP 32-bit

Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Crashes VirtualBox

Post by dd1080 »

I've seen a few other posts on this topic but none relate to my issue(s).

Host: Win7 64-bit
Guest: WinXP 32-bit
Cisco AnyConnect Version: 2.1.0148

I can setup a NAT connection and connect to the internet and I can setup a Bridged connection to my Wireless Adapter and connect to the internet. In both cases, however, when attempting to run the Cisco VPN client from the Guest OS (WinXP 32) it crashes. I'm not a networking guru but I'm not a dullard either. I am using this Guest as a Development Environment so it will be kind of useless if I can't get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fleed
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Crashes VirtualBox

Post by fleed »

I've also had the same problem with VB + WinXP + Cisco AnyConnect. As soon as AnyConnect establishes the VPN connection and brings up the vpn net interface Windows would crash.

Luckily I noticed that as the VPN interface is being brought up the hard drives start disappearing, including the system drive. So I moved all SATA-attached drives to the IDE interface and Cisco AnyConnect works fine now. This is not a solution in any way, just a work-around at best. But it works and is not too bad. Maybe you could give it a try to see if the same workaround does it for you?
dd1080

Post by dd1080 »

freed - you da' man! This worked for me as well, and you're right, it isn't really a solution but since the entire point of this VM is development and requires a VPN connection when I'm at home...no choice right now. Do you know how/if these forum posts get turned into "Bugs"? I'd love to submit one so that this may be corrected in a future release.

Thanks again!
fleed

Post by fleed »

I'm glad it worked!

I don't think so, maybe if we're lucky a dev will have the same problem. You'd have to report a bug according to http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker. To post a ticket (bug) you have to go to http://www.virtualbox.org/newticket.
Please mention the bug number here so I can vote for it/comment to make it more visible.
fleed

Post by fleed »

I had a look at the bugs and there is one that seems similar to what we're experiencing. Take a look: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7235
I'll post my logs/info there to see if it gets prioritized.
dd1080

Post by dd1080 »

I registered on the virtualbox.org site as well and added to the existing bug that you posted here. I am going to recreate and post my own Vbox.log file as well. Thanks again for your help with this. I am fairly new to the Forum community in general so my expectations were nil, but you've been a big help. Maybe I'll try and check some out that I could actually help others with...
fleed

Post by fleed »

I've come up with another work around that works better than the original one. You can add a SAS or SCSI interface to the virtual machine and use that for the drives. According to the virtualbox documentation I've seen this should be as fast as using SATA and the drives don't disappear after the VPN connection is established. You might want to give that a try too. The drivers for the SAS interface are on LSI's website, just do a search for LSI SAS driver (here's a link since I already had it: http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/product ... isas1068e/).
AoS
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by AoS »

I also have a similar issue ... but my guest is crashing/hanging randomly and not right after establishing the VPN session.

My host is Ubuntu 11.04 (64 bit) and my guest is Windows 7 (64 bit) ... running Virtualbox 4.0.8.

There's nothing special in the VBox log when the guest hangs and I have to power off/on the VM to get it back running.

When I'm not using AnyConnect, never had this issue. I have been experiencing this issue with the last 2 releases of Virtualbox (4.0.6 and 4.0.8) but this might also be linked to when I upgraded the host from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04 :?: