Install VBoxAdditions during kickstart?

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
raindog308
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: linux

Install VBoxAdditions during kickstart?

Post by raindog308 »

I have a Linux guest (CentOS 5.5) and kickstart works great for getting it setup. However, when I'm all done, I have to manually run the VBoxAdditions.

I've tried running them as part of the kickstart process, but when I boot the system afterwards, it comes up with:
"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface).  It seems that the pointer device (your mouse) is not set up correctly."
And Xorg.0.log says:
No core pointer

Fatal server error:
failed to initialize core devices
I assume that because kickstart doesn't operate in graphical mode, X wasn't available during the VBoxAdditions and so it didn't work right. I'm not the world's greatest X expert, though...

Is there a way to install the VBoxAdditions as part of a kickstart? Anyone tried this? Not the end of the world if it's not possible...
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Install VBoxAdditions during kickstart?

Post by Sasquatch »

Sounds more like the GA installation got interrupted. Even if X is not running, the GA installer should detect it and install it's modules for it. In fact, the error even indicates that there isn't a fallback module available or the hardware detection doesn't detect any pointer device.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.