USB device is busy with a previous request

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bighammy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Re: USB device is busy with a previous request

Post by bighammy »

Thanks to everyone for these tips. I am new to VirtualBox and was having issues getting a couple of different USB devices to attach. Both were failing because they were busy. This was especially confusing since there were no drivers for the host OS for one of the devices. The filters were created within the USB settings tab based on existing devices (VirtualBox did see both devices). Two things were required to fix the problems:
1) the filters created by device had to be generalized (data taken out)
2) the EHCI option in the USB settings tab had to be deselected
#1 was required by both devices while #2 was only required for the scanner (as mentioned earlier in this thread).
grenadeguy187
Guest OSses: Basically most types of Linux

Post by grenadeguy187 »

Actually, the problem is MUCH simpler than that. Simply do a "Safely Remove Hardware" on the host, and vala!
djdavedoc
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP3

Post by djdavedoc »

Hi Guys, Sorry to bring this back up but I have a really annoying issue along the same lines as this.

Host OS Windows 7
Guest OS Windows XP SP3

I have setup USB and Virtual Box picks up my device. I have tried with filters on and off and it says "Busy with previous request" Rebooted both machines, turned off EHCI Mode, deleted Data in Filters and it still wont work.

Oddly even with the device Disconnected from my machine it will still say "Busy with previous request" I am all out of ideas and cannot get my WD Passport Drive to work with my Virtual Machine. I have also Ejected the drive from the Host machine and tried again with the Guest but it still wont work.

I have the latest version of VirtualBox and also the Additions. Can anyone help as im gettind fed up with this as it makes no sense to me at all.

Edit: Just tried my Flip Video HD Camcorder.... SAME problem... Why is this happening? What have I done wrong?
vv75
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: xp,w7,vista,ubuntu

Post by vv75 »

let's face it, guys, vbox's usb support is pure lottery.
on my workstation it works flawlessly, while on the server all i get is "busy with the previous request" no matter how i dance around it.
tried everything - disabling ehci, pushing "remove hardware" on the host, etc - nothing helps.
one year passed since this topic was started and vbox got NO improvements over this whatsoever.
nipipapa
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by nipipapa »

I am new to VM VirtualBox. and I am having the same problem. Don't feel too comfy going into Bios and making changes (Since these are work PC's).. Oh well, I guess I will have to transfer what I want to my host's hard drive...
not cool
saurabhg9
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by saurabhg9 »

I had a similar problem for my USB scanner.

This is what finally worked (after doing lots of tinkering around)

The key is to modify the USB settings of the VM as follows (also check screenshot below) -

1) In the USB settings, remove the checkmark against the "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller" property.
2) Also then add a USB filter to the VM and set the "Remote" property to "Any".

After this scanning will work through the VM. Just make sure that you first start the VM and then connect the printer to the host.

All the best !
/Saurabh
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (71.29 KiB) Viewed 23673 times
jumpjack
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by jumpjack »

The Final Solution is here: :D
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29034

Kill VBoxSvc.exe in host machine, it's its fault if the USB devices remain stuck!
adamberkey
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by adamberkey »

For me, I noticed that this message box was coming from the host's OS, and so I thought maybe Virtualbox was the problem. I just created a new VM, used the same HD image from the previous one, and everything resumed as normal.

-Adam

I was using a pen drive normally. After a crash all I get is:

Code: Select all Expand view
Failed to attach the USB device to the virtual machine Fedora 11. USB device is busy with a previous request

It looks like a lock was left somewhere but I can't find it. Reinstalled guest additions and read many pages on the web.

Any ideas?
Matt0987

Post by Matt0987 »

Mr Incredible wrote:
abhay wrote:I was facing this problem since very long now but I solved it today so wanted to share the solution here.
What I did was to just disable USB 2.0 (EHCI) support in BIOS and then everything works...NO PROBLEMS at all!!!
I don't know why Virtualbox can't handle USB 2.0 but at least my scanner works now :D
That worked for me too. What Host are you running? Mine is Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate RTM 7100

Do you disable the USB 2.0 (EHCI) in the Host BIOS? Or, VB?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Last reply was 06 Oct 2011, 17:18.
Time to lock this post...
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!