4-port USB hub not recognized by WinXP guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
clickatunt
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXPSP3 32bit

4-port USB hub not recognized by WinXP guest

Post by clickatunt »

Hello- I have a non-powered 4-port USB hub that my WinXP guest does not recognize. I've checked Device Manager and it doesn't even ping the hub when it's plugged in. I have a Boot Camp installation of XP that finds the hub no problem.

Due to physical port configuration, I need to use this hub to be able to plug in two devices. The devices are found and installed just fine when directly plugged into either of the ports (except I can't get them in side by side - not enough space). They are recognized just fine in the BootCamp install of XP with or without the hub. But this stubborn guest refuses to 'see' the hub.

I've added filters in Port Settings with vendor IDs and also left one as a generic blank just in case but still no luck. I tried a different 4-port hub and it also is not recognized by Windows (no 'hardware found' happy ding or message and does not show up in Device Manager).

Any helpful suggestions are very welcome! Thank you for your time!
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: 4-port USB hub not recognized by WinXP guest

Post by Sasquatch »

What do you expect? It's a hub, not an end-point device. You hook up end-point devices to the hub. Your computer is full of USB hubs, but you never notice because all you see are USB ports.
If the end-point devices are not detected, it means they don't get enough power to activate themselves. Without power, you don't have a device attached. Get a powered hub instead.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.